Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Getting rid of the water heater.

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:28:20 -0400, mm
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon"

wrote 2 years ago

That is why there are junk guys. I hired a company to get rid of my
old chicken coop, and the routine was "anything that 2 guys can carry,
and you pay by the qtr truckload". In my case it was a half truck
load worth.

Just a story.

When I started yesterday looking to get rid of MY water heater, I
thought I could call bulk collection.

20 years ago it was on a monthly schedule and free.

10 years ago I had to call a private party who worked with the county,
make an appointment and send a check in advance for 10 or at most 20
dollars.

Now the county does nothing except refer me to the wrongly-stated
category in the yellow pages. The yellow pages has 4 columns plus
display ads over 4 pages. Most were dumpster companies!

I found one whose truck I had seen around here 3 or 4 times in the
last 2 years, 1-800-Got-Junk.

Something like the one you mention, Chris, they have a minimum 1/8
truckload, of 10x8x5=400/8 = 50 cu. feet, but the water heater is
5'feet high by 2 feet in diameter, at most 20 cu.feet.

They charge 167 for an 1/8th of a truck, and 119 for anything less
than that.

That's a lot compared to 10 dollars.

But the guy on the phone was very nice.

So I'm going to wait until the next Pennysaver comes and see what they
have there.

Some people have posted that the WH can be cut with a reciprocating
saw. If so, I figure 3 pieces, plus scooping out the bottom, to get
it out of the basement fairly easily.

So maybe I should cut it into ten pieces and throw it away with the
regular garbage??

I can cut it up on a tarp or in a big box, like the box the new one
comes in, maybe, and pour all the broken glass into a garbage can.

Then I'll find out how good my Harbor Freight recip saw is. I've only
used it for 3 minutes and so far, so good.

What you need to do is find a scrap metal dealer.
If you deliver it, they ought to take it for free.