Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fridge water line leak

I have developed a leak in the waterline to the icemaker in the
refridgerator.

Leak is somewhere in the line between where it comes out of the floor
and where
it goes into the back of the fridge.

I moved the fridge out last Saturday to clean behind it and clean the
floor under it.
Then I rolled it back into place.

Water line has a lot of extra coils of copper so that fridge can be
rolled out and back.

Noticed puddling on the floor next to the fridge last night. Mopped it
up. More puddlig this am,
mopped that up and shut off the valve to the water line.

I'd really prefer not having to go into the crawl space to replace the
entirety of the 1/4 or 3/8 inch
copper line.

Any body have any ideas about so;ldering in (or otherwise connectig up)
a replacement
length of tubing in the back to fix this if the cpper lne is cracked /
droken / etc?

I haven't yet pulled the fridge out again to see if its just an issue
with the compresson fittng.
Thats a job for Saturday, as would any waterlne repair be.

Just looking for suggestions before I start on tis Saturday AM.

TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jJim McLaughlin wrote:

[...]

Surely the copper has not cracked/split.

But, if the copper line was not firmly clamped to the fridg,
moving the appliance may easily have loosened the compression fitting
or, worse, damaged the inlet valve.

I think you'll have to wait and see where the damage is before
deciding what to do.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 3:05�pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
jJim McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

this is why I prefer plastic supply line.......

See what you get for cleaning

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just looking for suggestions before I start on tis Saturday AM.

Try tightening the fittings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , jJim McLaughlin wrote:
I have developed a leak in the waterline to the icemaker in the
refridgerator.

Leak is somewhere in the line between where it comes out of the floor
and where
it goes into the back of the fridge.

I was plagued with such problems. I'd make repairs to the
0.25 in. copper pipe and fittings -- a month or two later
I'd be staring at another puddle.

Replace the darn piping with one of those plastic jobbies
with the stainless steel sheath and you'll have no more
problems for many, many years.

If you choose to splice onto the current copper pipe within
the kitchen (versus messing around in the crawl space) that
will probably work too. But make sure the free end of the copper
piping is firmly clipped/attached to something solid so
all of the movement is with the plastic pipe. You don't
want the copper moving or flexing -- not even a little
bit. Provided the copper is firmly anchored, you'll be
a happy camper.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons why I'd never get a
refrigerator with an automatic ice maker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:59:53 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

[...]

If you can't actually see where the water is coming from, check around
the nut. It might need tightening, but just a guess.

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

He should be so lucky- they switched to plastic icemaker lines for a reason-
soft copper takes a set after a few years, and any flexing can open up
cracks. There is a reason they say not to reuse flexible gas line hookups.
Sure, try snugging the nut, but go ahead and have the new line kit on the
shelf if it doesn't work, or for next time you clean under the fridge.

( I feel OPs pain- I need to change my limed-up line, but idiot furnace
company ran a duct under the damn saddle tap and inline filter, so I'll
probably need to drop that duct section to get access that won't cripple my
wrists. Good thing I seldom use ice, and prefer fizzy water to the door
water. What idiot invented those fragile-ass saddle taps anyway? Look at
them wrong and they start leaking. But I digress....)

aem sends...