Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Fridge water line leak

"Just Joshin" wrote in message
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:59:53 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

I have developed a leak in the waterline to the icemaker in the
refridgerator.

Leak is somewhere in the line between where it comes out of the floor
and where
it goes into the back of the fridge.

I moved the fridge out last Saturday to clean behind it and clean the
floor under it.
Then I rolled it back into place.

Water line has a lot of extra coils of copper so that fridge can be
rolled out and back.

Noticed puddling on the floor next to the fridge last night. Mopped it
up. More puddlig this am,
mopped that up and shut off the valve to the water line.

I'd really prefer not having to go into the crawl space to replace the
entirety of the 1/4 or 3/8 inch
copper line.

Any body have any ideas about so;ldering in (or otherwise connectig up)
a replacement
length of tubing in the back to fix this if the cpper lne is cracked /
droken / etc?

I haven't yet pulled the fridge out again to see if its just an issue
with the compresson fittng.
Thats a job for Saturday, as would any waterlne repair be.

Just looking for suggestions before I start on tis Saturday AM.

TIA.

If you can't actually see where the water is coming from, check around
the nut. It might need tightening, but just a guess.

He should be so lucky- they switched to plastic icemaker lines for a reason-
soft copper takes a set after a few years, and any flexing can open up
cracks. There is a reason they say not to reuse flexible gas line hookups.
Sure, try snugging the nut, but go ahead and have the new line kit on the
shelf if it doesn't work, or for next time you clean under the fridge.

( I feel OPs pain- I need to change my limed-up line, but idiot furnace
company ran a duct under the damn saddle tap and inline filter, so I'll
probably need to drop that duct section to get access that won't cripple my
wrists. Good thing I seldom use ice, and prefer fizzy water to the door
water. What idiot invented those fragile-ass saddle taps anyway? Look at
them wrong and they start leaking. But I digress....)

aem sends...