Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New pool pump motor overheating

Hi All,

Bought a brand new 3/4 hp hayward pool sweep pump from ebay. Well
guess what. The pump runs but the motor housing gets so hot you can't
touch it. Motor's pulling around 9.5A on 220V which seems too high.
Any ideas what might be wrong with the "new in box" pump deal from
ebay? I'm going to try to call hayward tech support on Monday and see
if I can get a warranty replacement. Seems odd though that a new motor
would have problems. Here's what I've checked so far:

1. Measured 240 volts right at motor terminals.
2. Centrifical starting switch seems to be opening when motor comes up
to speed.
3. Motor makes a grrring noise and has a slight vibration.
4. Double checked the wiring.
5. Current is ~9.5A.

Over temp switch doesn't shut off though. Although I haven't run it
more than 30mins in fear of something melting down. Here are my
guesses of what might be wrong:

1. Shorted or open field winding?
2. Rotor defective?
3. Starting cap defective? (seems to start fine though and come up to
speed)

Anybody have ideas on what might be wrong? Isn't 4 to 5 amps about
right for a 3/4 hp motor running on 220V?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31 Mar 2007 20:48:40 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Are you sure there are no restrictions? Does the flow seem right?
Might you have a plugged screen or filter? It sounds like there is
too much back pressure. You're right, current is too high for 3/4
horse.

One more thought...are you sure it's wired for 220? often they are
dual voltage.

HTH,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anybody have ideas on what might be wrong? Isn't 4 to 5 amps about
right for a 3/4 hp motor running on 220V?

No. 1 HP = 746 watts. So 3/4 HP is 560 watts, or maybe 600 something with
efficiency considerations. So at 240 VAC (why does everybody still say
220V?) you should be at less than 3 amps.

If you're gobbling 9.5A, sumfing way rong.

Motor wired for 120 VAC?

Motor wired wrong?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 9:13 pm, Paul Franklin
wrote:
[...]

Paul- Hide quoted text -

Back pressure was something I questioned as well but even running with
the pump discharge port open to the air, get the same results. Also,
when connected up to the pool cleaner line, which has a valve in it, I
closed the valve and the current when down about .5 amps.

I checked and double checked the wiring an it's wired according to the
name plate.