pelty

Default Symptoms that I need a new pool filter motor?

About 45 seconds when my pool filter motor kicks on, it shuts
down the breaker on the house. It even sounds like it's slowing down
right before it throws the breaker. I'm not too knowledgeable about
electric motors, but as they heat up doesn't their impendence increase
resulting in drawing more power until it shuts the breaker off?

Anyways, is this a sign I need a new motor? What exactly is happening?

Thanks!
Ross Mac

"pelty" wrote in message
About 45 seconds when my pool filter motor kicks on, it shuts
down the breaker on the house. It even sounds like it's slowing down
right before it throws the breaker. I'm not too knowledgeable about
electric motors, but as they heat up doesn't their impendence increase
resulting in drawing more power until it shuts the breaker off?

Anyways, is this a sign I need a new motor? What exactly is happening?

Thanks!

Put an amp clamp on one of the wires of the motor and measure the current.
If it is over the rated plate current on the motor...that's your problem. If
not, perhaps the breaker is bad. Also, check all your connections and if you
have a bad one you may notice some burnt insulation or discoloration....good
luck, Ross