Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Septic Repair

Ok, I have sewage leaking and a faint odor coming from my bathroom.
The leak is at the end of my leach field so not a blockage. Probably
going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field. If this is the case what am I supposed to do, pump out
the damn tank every 2 months? And worse, I was planning on selling
within a year to build on another plot of land I own. Who's going to
buy a house with septic problem, it's probably illegal anyway. Any
help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 1:06 pm, wrote:
Ok, I have sewage leaking and a faint odor coming from my bathroom.
The leak is at the end of my leach field so not a blockage. Probably
going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field. If this is the case what am I supposed to do, pump out
the damn tank every 2 months? And worse, I was planning on selling
within a year to build on another plot of land I own. Who's going to
buy a house with septic problem, it's probably illegal anyway. Any
help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

I am not speaking from any authority, but this sounds like a
grandfather situation. That is a new leach field installed but
according to the code at the time it was originally installed.
Joe G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 1:25 pm, "GROVER" wrote:
On Mar 29, 1:06 pm, wrote:

[...]

That would make sense but I would have to replace on the existing
field. I do not have another area on the property to install a new
field. Do you know what that involves? Replacing dirt?, pipes?,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 1:28 pm, wrote:
On Mar 29, 1:25 pm, "GROVER" wrote:

On Mar 29, 1:06 pm, wrote:

[...]

field. Do you know what that involves? Replacing dirt?, pipes?,- Hide quoted text -

To my knowledge, the leaching portion of the field is composed of
crushed stone which helps the liquid to evaporate. The field
replacement will most probably require professional help and they will
have a front loader and dump truck to remove and replace the stone.
Joe G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 1:06 pm, wrote:
Ok, I have sewage leaking and a faint odor coming from my bathroom.
The leak is at the end of my leach field so not a blockage. Probably
going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field. If this is the case what am I supposed to do, pump out
the damn tank every 2 months? And worse, I was planning on selling
within a year to build on another plot of land I own. Who's going to
buy a house with septic problem, it's probably illegal anyway. Any
help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

There is one additional procedure which I heard of, but it is not a
permanent solution. It may not be accepted by the local inspector.
Some of these septic building companies can aerate the field with a
pipe and thereby extend its life. But they don't guarantee the
results. The slang term for the procedure is something like an
elephant trunk. I suppose that refers to the hose which blows the air
into the field.
Joe G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 1:06 pm, wrote:
Ok, I have sewage leaking and a faint odor coming from my bathroom.
The leak is at the end of my leach field so not a blockage. Probably
going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field. If this is the case what am I supposed to do, pump out
the damn tank every 2 months? And worse, I was planning on selling
within a year to build on another plot of land I own. Who's going to
buy a house with septic problem, it's probably illegal anyway. Any
help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Another option that may apply is a raised sand bed. Depending upon
your grade of course, it may also require a pump to move the effluent
from the tank to the bed. There are some really good innovations in
sewage treatment including some that actually use the final liquid to
watergrass. I'm also assuming that you don't have access to a city
sewer system and HAVE to be on a private septic treatment plant. It
would be very interesting to hear that a municipality could refuse a
permit for a new bed when they don't offer a sewage connection. I've
been through this issue at my Parent's house... Feel free to e-mail
me directly, a close friend installed septic systems for 30+ years
and his advice is always bang-on.

Here's a link to a site that a friend of mine had installed when his
bed blew out and couldn't be replaced due to a high water table. When
the health inspector found out the company name they didn't even show
up for the inspection.

http://www.waterloo-biofilter.com/

I don't know what state you're in but they have a few US dealers..

Good luck,

Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

If the water is making its way to the end of the leach field I would think
that any bathroom odor is not related unless the water is not making its way
down the pipe.

To find out what options are available, you will need to contact your local
authorities. However, if you do, and they inspect your current system they
may immediately condemn it and force a quick replacement at any cost. This
is spring, often the ground gets saturated with water which fills the leach
field preventing it from absorbing the effluent into the soil. This may self
correct when the ground dries up. In the meantime, you need to seriously
reduce the amount of water you dump into the septic tank. Analyse your water
usage and cut back drastically. Do laundry at the laundry, don't flush for
every single #1 that someone does. Take short showers. This will reduce the
load on the leach field and aid in drying it out. I had a similar problem 25
years ago and I am still using the same septic system and leach field today.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, I have sewage leaking and a faint odor coming from my bathroom.
The leak is at the end of my leach field so not a blockage. Probably
going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field. If this is the case what am I supposed to do, pump out
the damn tank every 2 months? And worse, I was planning on selling
within a year to build on another plot of land I own. Who's going to
buy a house with septic problem, it's probably illegal anyway. Any
help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ok, I have sewage leaking and a faint odor coming from my bathroom.
The leak is at the end of my leach field so not a blockage. Probably
going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field. If this is the case what am I supposed to do, pump out
the damn tank every 2 months? And worse, I was planning on selling
within a year to build on another plot of land I own. Who's going to
buy a house with septic problem, it's probably illegal anyway. Any
help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

You really need to see your local enviromental health department. You could also
call a local septic company. At least in this area, there have been substantial
changes in the rules for septic systems, up to and including annual inspections
by a licensed septic company.

In your situation, there may be options to waive some of the setback
requirements. Depends on where your well is and where your neighbor's well and
septic system are.

The alternative can also be some more modern engineered fields, including a
mound type. These may require that you replace the classic dual chamber tank
with a three chamber one and also may involve lift pumps. If you have to go this
way it won't be cheap...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 3:18 pm, Rick Blaine wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Really like to visit your Cafe and meet Ilsa,Laslo, Sam, Ferrari and
kick major Strasser.
Joe G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 3:49 pm, wrote:
On 29 Mar 2007 10:06:04 -0700, wrote:

Ok, I have sewage leaking and a faint odor coming from my bathroom.
The leak is at the end of my leach field so not a blockage. Probably
going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field. If this is the case what am I supposed to do, pump out
the damn tank every 2 months? And worse, I was planning on selling
within a year to build on another plot of land I own. Who's going to
buy a house with septic problem, it's probably illegal anyway. Any
help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

It sounds like your field is not perking anymore. The waste water is
just laying there. I would start by calling several septic companies
for opinions/estimates and they will know what the government will
make you do without kicking that tar baby.
Usually this involves digging out the whole field, trucking it away to
a dump site and rebuilding it with new gravel, leach cloth and piping.
There may also be some less drastic remedial actions they can do but
these are local choices based on what the soil and the law will allow.
We can only guess what your situation is.
Make sure you get several opinions. There is a lot of scamming going
on in the septic business.

I agree with the above advice. And I disagree with the post that
said you will
likely be able to rebuild the system to the code standards of decades
ago
because it was grandfathered. Usually, grandfathering applies to
what's there
being OK to stay or for a sale ofthe property, etc., while it's
working. I find it hard to believe they would allow you
to replace a septic system and only require it to be up to the code of
God only
knows how many years ago. If you can't meet some portion of the
current code for
a valid reason, then you might be able to get a waiver, but I doubt
they would just
waive a grandfather wand over the whole thing.

That's why, per the above advice, I'd start with some private
companies for advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"GROVER" wrote:

Really like to visit your Cafe and meet Ilsa,Laslo, Sam, Ferrari and
kick major Strasser.

Very good. It's surprising how few get the reference...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Ok, I have sewage leaking and a faint odor coming from my bathroom.
The leak is at the end of my leach field so not a blockage. Probably
going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field. If this is the case what am I supposed to do, pump out
the damn tank every 2 months? And worse, I was planning on selling
within a year to build on another plot of land I own. Who's going to
buy a house with septic problem, it's probably illegal anyway. Any
help is greatly appreciated!!!!!

If you are going to sell soon, then any repair will have to be reliable to
some point into the future. That probably means that you are in for a
significant outlay of cash. Ask around to locate local companies with lots
of experience. They know more than most of us here because local codes
vary.

A clogged drain field is often caused by detergents, by the way. Do all of
your outlets cycle through your septic system?

What is the pumping history of your tank? If it has never been pumped, that
could have clogged the drain field.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote:

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

Fields used to be that small. Many areas have upgraded requirements where the
field size required is between 4500-9000 sq feet. That's 3-5 times larger than
the numbers you quoted.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/fieldsize.htm

Furthermore, not all of the lot is usable for a field. You have to deal with
minimium distances from lot lines, foundations, wells, neighbor's wells, limited
slopes, etc. Then with what's left you have to find soil that will perc, or you
get to build an artificial field.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 7:31 pm, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

. . . going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field.

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

This building permits question is answered (free) by the office
that issues building permits where you live. Your taxes have
already paid for this information.

(Do not be misled by posters who say leach fields function
by evaporation. They actually function by drainage underground.
Advisers who get this wrong are unreliable.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

To answer a few questions:

1. All of my outlets do go to the septic system.

2. The liquid was found at the end of the leach field, not the
beginning so that leads me to believe it's not a blockage.

Thanks everyone for the response. When I returned home form work the
area of liquid was gone but the ground was wet. The area around is not
at all soft, actually pretty hard so I'm wondering if it's only a
portion of the leach field, who knows. There is a pretty big tree
right next to this area, maybe a root has hit the pipe. I have a local
company coming out early next week to pump the tank and give me there
perspective. Hopefully everything will check out ok. It still worries
me though, the liquid was there for a reason and that smell obviously
came from the septic system. My best guess is that the ground is
getting pretty saturated and will still drain, just not nearly as well
as it used to. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 6:31 pm, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

. . . going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field.

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

The notion that a typical leach field is 30 sq ft is off by more than
an order of magnitude, even for a small house.

This building permits question is answered (free) by the office
that issues building permits where you live. Your taxes have
already paid for this information.

(Do not be misled by posters who say leach fields function
by evaporation. They actually function by drainage underground.
Advisers who get this wrong are unreliable.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 8:13�pm, Rick Blaine wrote:
wrote:
This is obviously wrong. *Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. *You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

The notion that a typical leach field is 30 sq ft is off by more than
an order of magnitude, even for a small house.

He wasn't saying sq feet, he was saying feet square. 40x40 = 1600 sq feet. But
your point is well taken - even that isn't up to current code in most places.

its futher complicated by perc tests, distance to wells etc. might
need a mound system with pump.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Don:

Recheck your acre. One acre is 43560 sq. ft. A .5 acre lot is 21780 sq. ft.
OR approximately 100 feet x 217.9 feet NOT 500 x 500 ft. My drainage field
which is 35 years old is approximately 50 ft. x 50 ft. and way under today's
standards unless I was using some modern technology septic system.

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...

. . . going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field.

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

This building permits question is answered (free) by the office
that issues building permits where you live. Your taxes have
already paid for this information.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 29 Mar 2007 12:58:36 -0700, wrote:

I agree with the above advice. And I disagree with the post that
said you will
likely be able to rebuild the system to the code standards of decades
ago
because it was grandfathered. Usually, grandfathering applies to
what's there
being OK to stay or for a sale ofthe property, etc., while it's
working. I find it hard to believe they would allow you
to replace a septic system and only require it to be up to the code of
God only
knows how many years ago. If you can't meet some portion of the
current code for
a valid reason, then you might be able to get a waiver, but I doubt
they would just
waive a grandfather wand over the whole thing.

Yes, that was, I thought, his concern, that his half acre wasn't
enough room. I'm sure that aspect would be grandfathered in.

And personally I find it hard to believe that there is any rule
requiring more than a half acre. Tht would mean that anywhere with
this rule that had no sewer connection could only have lots more than
a half acre. That's real hard to believe. I think the neighbor has
some sort of delusion that everyone has half acre lots.

We had a third of an acre and there was more than enough room for a
septic tank and finger system.

Maybe what someone means is that there is no room to build a new one
while retaining the old one. That's possible and then something extra
will have to be done for the time that one is dug up and the new one
is not in.

That's why, per the above advice, I'd start with some private
companies for advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:43:13 -0600, Rick Blaine
wrote:

"Don Phillipson" wrote:

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

Fields used to be that small. Many areas have upgraded requirements where the
field size required is between 4500-9000 sq feet. That's 3-5 times larger than
the numbers you quoted.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/fieldsize.htm

What is he supposed to do, buy his two neighbor's houses and tear
them down?

That's what grandfathering is for and that's why it applies here, I'll
bet. But OP, call from a pay phone and don't tell them where you
live. Or ask the contractors.

Although he shoudln't assume he needs a replacement. Stories about
replacement and the reasons circulate with much more intensity than do
stories about smaller problems. People remember them more, but that
doesn't in itself mean there isn't a far cheaper remedy for a leak at
the end of the field.

Furthermore, not all of the lot is usable for a field. You have to deal with
minimium distances from lot lines, foundations, wells, neighbor's wells, limited
slopes, etc. Then with what's left you have to find soil that will perc, or you
get to build an artificial field.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:06:05 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

Don:

Recheck your acre. One acre is 43560 sq. ft. A .5 acre lot is 21780 sq. ft.
OR approximately 100 feet x 217.9 feet NOT 500 x 500 ft. My drainage field
which is 35 years old is approximately 50 ft. x 50 ft. and way under today's
standards unless I was using some modern technology septic system.

So do they have the new higher requirements where you are? What will
you do when you need a new field? Deport your neighbors and use their
land?

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...

. . . going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field.

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

This building permits question is answered (free) by the office
that issues building permits where you live. Your taxes have
already paid for this information.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

The notion that a typical leach field is 30 sq ft is off by more than
an order of magnitude, even for a small house.

He wasn't saying sq feet, he was saying feet square. 40x40 = 1600 sq feet. But
your point is well taken - even that isn't up to current code in most places.

Doh! My bad. I read it wrong. That size is in the ball park. Of
course, the final size depends
on the soil, perc test, etc. And even with a 1/2 acre lot you can
run into problems because of
reqts for distance from wells, setback, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

What is he supposed to do, buy his two neighbor's houses and tear
them down?

That's what grandfathering is for and that's why it applies here

Possibly. It's also possible that he'll be forced into replacing his existing
dual chamber tank and standard field with one of the more high tech systems
available today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 5:44 pm, wrote:
On Mar 29, 7:31 pm, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

as it used to. I'll let everyone know how it goes.- Hide quoted text -

Usually effluent rising to the surface indicates the soil is plugged,
typically with grease and solids from the septic tank. Sometimes this
indicates that the tank was not maintained; removing solids and grease
every few years by pumping out the tank. Other issues can lead to
this problem; chemicals, detergents, etc. interfering with the
biological activity in the septic tank or the leach field. Usually,
this symptom means it's time for a new leach field. Without removing
& replacing the soil, it's unlikely you can unplug the soil
effectively.

Oklahoma and Kansas are encouraging aerobic treatment systems; the
effluent is stored in tanks, chlorinated, and spread on the surface
using sprinkler systems at scheduled times (usually at night). So you
could install this type system if your local codes allow it. Requires
annual maintenance; uses pumps, chlorine and electricity, so it's a
little more hands on than a leach field.

A raised bed leach field is another option. Esthetically, most people
(and their neighbors) resist this solution, but it does solve your
problem. It is more expensive than a leach field, and you have a
large mound of soil in your yard to landscape around. Probably would
require using a holding tank and a pump unless your house is on the
side of a hill.

There is a wetland type of treatment system, where you use vegetation
to treat the effluent. Works, but isn't suitable for some climates,
and is not generally accepted by most communities.

Your odor in the bathroom sounds like you need to replace the wax seal
ring under your toilet. Been there, done that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Don:

Recheck your acre. One acre is 43560 sq. ft. A .5 acre lot is 21780 sq. ft.
OR approximately 100 feet x 217.9 feet NOT 500 x 500 ft. My drainage field
which is 35 years old is approximately 50 ft. x 50 ft. and way under today's
standards unless I was using some modern technology septic system.

So do they have the new higher requirements where you are? What will
you do when you need a new field? Deport your neighbors and use their
land?

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
wrote in message
roups.com...

. . . going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field.

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

This building permits question is answered (free) by the office
that issues building permits where you live. Your taxes have
already paid for this information.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)- Hide quoted text -

Does anyone have any info on whether the chemical products advertised
(Septic Oxygen) work? This product claims to add oxygen to the soil
and allow for better drainage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Don:

Yes standards are "higher" now than when my system was first installed 37
years ago (I just checked how long), what did you expect. Snarky comments
about taking over my neighbours is not a solution nor needed. While I could
not rebuild a standard system because my drainage bed is trapped between the
house, the street, my property line and the driveway, I could probably
replace it with a high tech assisted, and expensive modern system. Although,
I would probably just hook up to the new sewer system the town installed on
my street once we resolve the dispute I and four other landowners are having
over who pays for the lateral installation. They are trying to make us pay
for full price while all other houses on the street were given laterals
free. This is in Ontario, like you.

wrote:

Don:

Recheck your acre. One acre is 43560 sq. ft. A .5 acre lot is 21780 sq.
ft.
OR approximately 100 feet x 217.9 feet NOT 500 x 500 ft. My drainage field
which is 35 years old is approximately 50 ft. x 50 ft. and way under
today's
standards unless I was using some modern technology septic system.

So do they have the new higher requirements where you are? What will
you do when you need a new field? Deport your neighbors and use their
land?

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...

. . . going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field.

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

This building permits question is answered (free) by the office
that issues building permits where you live. Your taxes have
already paid for this information.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Don:

Recheck your acre. One acre is 43560 sq. ft. A .5 acre lot is 21780 sq.
ft.
OR approximately 100 feet x 217.9 feet NOT 500 x 500 ft. My drainage field
which is 35 years old is approximately 50 ft. x 50 ft. and way under
today's
standards unless I was using some modern technology septic system.

So do they have the new higher requirements where you are? What will
you do when you need a new field? Deport your neighbors and use their
land?

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
wrote in message
groups.com...

. . . going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field.

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

This building permits question is answered (free) by the office
that issues building permits where you live. Your taxes have
already paid for this information.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)- Hide quoted text -

I did expect higher standards but public sewer and water are not
available and years from being so. Adding one of these high tech
solutions would definatly cost and deture anyone from purchasing my
home. Who wants to put up with that? There is absolutely no where else
in my yard to install another leach field. My front yard in higher up
than my backyard where the current leach field is and my side yard
holds my well. So, I'm screwed I guess. I am glad I didn't call the
inspector yet, they probabaly would have gone ahead and ordered a
solution. Then again i'm sitll holding on to hope it's not as bad as I
thought. Again, the liquid is gone from my backyard along with the
smell. It's getting pumped Monday by an expert who can tell me EXACTLY
what needs to be done, if anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 4:22 pm, Rick Blaine wrote:
"GROVER" wrote:

Really like to visit your Cafe and meet Ilsa,Laslo, Sam, Ferrari and
kick major Strasser.

Very good. It's surprising how few get the reference...

Rick,
It's not so surprising, as I've watched it an uncounted number of
times and am unable to resist each time it's run. There's something
addictive about it, or maybe it's just because it's so darn good. It
doesn't have one wasted frame. By accident Hollywood gets it right
every once in while.
Joe G

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Good, that is the way to go. It could have just been saturated soil from the
spring melt/rains. Pumping is the first thing to start with then work your
way from there. Possibly trees have plugged some laterals in the system,
possibly these could be cleaned out and/or trees removed. Your system may
recover, in the meantime keep the water output to a minimum to help.

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

Don:

Recheck your acre. One acre is 43560 sq. ft. A .5 acre lot is 21780 sq.
ft.
OR approximately 100 feet x 217.9 feet NOT 500 x 500 ft. My drainage
field
which is 35 years old is approximately 50 ft. x 50 ft. and way under
today's
standards unless I was using some modern technology septic system.

So do they have the new higher requirements where you are? What will
you do when you need a new field? Deport your neighbors and use their
land?

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:30:00 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

. . . going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field.

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

Why is that, by the way? If a normal soil perc rate is around
30 minutes per inch, that should be around
0.02 gallons per square foot per minute, or close to 30 gallons
per square foot per day. That ought to work out to around
10 square feet of trench per person. Why are leach fields typically
so much bigger than that? There's obviously some constraint
other than liquid gallons per day driving this, but what?

On the other hand, the leach field has to be, what, 10 feet from your
property lines, 100 feet from your well, not under the house
or driveway, and I think 250 feet from regulated wetlands? (actual
values vary by jurisdiction) Those kinds of things can make
a serious dent in the available places to put a field.

--Goedjn

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Don:

Recheck your acre. One acre is 43560 sq. ft. A .5 acre lot is 21780 sq. ft.
OR approximately 100 feet x 217.9 feet NOT 500 x 500 ft. My drainage field
which is 35 years old is approximately 50 ft. x 50 ft. and way under today's
standards unless I was using some modern technology septic system.

So do they have the new higher requirements where you are? What will
you do when you need a new field? Deport your neighbors and use their
land?

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
wrote in message
roups.com...

. . . going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field.

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

This building permits question is answered (free) by the office
that issues building permits where you live. Your taxes have
already paid for this information.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)- Hide quoted text -

Not sure. I live in the piedmont of NC and tried contacting the city
but they want an address before answering any questions. If I was to
give them my address they would have someone out checking it out very
quickly and then I would be in real trouble. I'm waiting on the
pumping company to come out before I do anythign else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 30, 12:57 pm, wrote:

Not sure. I live in the piedmont of NC and tried contacting the city
but they want an address before answering any questions. If I was to
give them my address they would have someone out checking it out very
quickly and then I would be in real trouble. I'm waiting on the
pumping company to come out before I do anythign else.

Then give them someone else's address.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:55:42 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

Don:

Yes standards are "higher" now than when my system was first installed 37
years ago (I just checked how long), what did you expect. Snarky comments
about taking over my neighbours is not a solution nor needed. While I could

I don't know what snarky means.

As to unneeded, I wanted you to see the problem from the OP's pov.
See below**

not rebuild a standard system because my drainage bed is trapped between the
house, the street, my property line and the driveway, I could probably
replace it with a high tech assisted, and expensive modern system. Although,
I would probably just hook up to the new sewer system the town installed on

You're lucky if that's an option, but a lot of people still have no
sewer to hook up to. ....I see that's the OP's situation.

my street once we resolve the dispute I and four other landowners are having
over who pays for the lateral installation. They are trying to make us pay
for full price while all other houses on the street were given laterals
free. This is in Ontario, like you.

AIUI, no one gets all posts, but I don't see a post by the OP that
says he's in Ontario. And does all of Ontario have the same rules?

**As to unneeded, there is a constant flow of people here on one issue
or another who think they have to do major overhauls no matter how
simple the problem.

The AC doesn't turn on. I think I need a new AC.

The refrigerator is too cold. Should I get a new refrigerator? Or
even, I think I need a new refrigerator.

I need new mechanisms, even though it hasn't been oiled. (This last
one was toller and he probably has oiled them before posting, but we
get other posts from people who actually haven't.)

So I don't want the OP to be convinced he has to get a new system if
he doesn't have to.

And there are the many who plainly are trying to save money, and there
are cheaper alternatives, but they are told to do things the "right
way". I prefer the right way too, but many times people have to do
less than that. A long time ago, when I repaired applicances and tvs,
mostly for students, it bothered me too when they were oonly willing
to pay for one symptom to be fixed, and didn't want to do it the right
way, by fixing the other problems (which were a lot easier and cheaper
to do when I already had the tv open.) But I kept reminding myself
that they didn't have much money.

.. .
wrote:

Don:

Recheck your acre. One acre is 43560 sq. ft. A .5 acre lot is 21780 sq.
ft.
OR approximately 100 feet x 217.9 feet NOT 500 x 500 ft. My drainage field
which is 35 years old is approximately 50 ft. x 50 ft. and way under
today's
standards unless I was using some modern technology septic system.

So do they have the new higher requirements where you are? What will
you do when you need a new field? Deport your neighbors and use their
land?

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...

. . . going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field.

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

This building permits question is answered (free) by the office
that issues building permits where you live. Your taxes have
already paid for this information.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
On Mar 30, 12:57 pm, wrote:

Not sure. I live in the piedmont of NC and tried contacting the city
but they want an address before answering any questions. If I was to
give them my address they would have someone out checking it out very
quickly and then I would be in real trouble. I'm waiting on the
pumping company to come out before I do anythign else.

Then give them someone else's address.

Give them the MAYORS address. Nosey pumpkins!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cmiles3" wrote:

There is a wetland type of treatment system, where you use vegetation
to treat the effluent. Works, but isn't suitable for some climates,
and is not generally accepted by most communities.

There's a small community nearby the has one of these and it's a huge problem.
They can't seem to get the amount of effluent balanced against the wetland area
and end up with all the vegetation dying off once a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"GROVER" wrote:

it's so darn good. It
doesn't have one wasted frame. By accident Hollywood gets it right
every once in while.

Accident is right. Many people don't realize it was made when Hollywood
literally classified movies "A", "B", etc. By the standards of the day, it was a
"B" movie. Nothing more than midweek theater filler or the first half of a
weekend double header. Amazing what a little perspective does...

Septic gradient [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 21st 06 05:00 PM
Help - septic tank ( or not?) howardsend UK diy 23 March 16th 06 06:02 PM
Septic repair redirects underground spring (I think) northcountry Home Repair 2 April 26th 05 05:18 PM
septic problem gnb Home Repair 27 April 4th 05 01:53 PM
septic DickB Home Repair 1 July 7th 04 04:05 PM