Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Septic Repair

Good, that is the way to go. It could have just been saturated soil from the
spring melt/rains. Pumping is the first thing to start with then work your
way from there. Possibly trees have plugged some laterals in the system,
possibly these could be cleaned out and/or trees removed. Your system may
recover, in the meantime keep the water output to a minimum to help.

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 30, 10:55 am, "EXT" wrote:
Don:

Yes standards are "higher" now than when my system was first installed 37
years ago (I just checked how long), what did you expect. Snarky comments
about taking over my neighbours is not a solution nor needed. While I
could
not rebuild a standard system because my drainage bed is trapped between
the
house, the street, my property line and the driveway, I could probably
replace it with a high tech assisted, and expensive modern system.
Although,
I would probably just hook up to the new sewer system the town installed
on
my street once we resolve the dispute I and four other landowners are
having
over who pays for the lateral installation. They are trying to make us
pay
for full price while all other houses on the street were given laterals
free. This is in Ontario, like you.

"mm" wrote in message

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:06:05 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

Don:

Recheck your acre. One acre is 43560 sq. ft. A .5 acre lot is 21780 sq.
ft.
OR approximately 100 feet x 217.9 feet NOT 500 x 500 ft. My drainage
field
which is 35 years old is approximately 50 ft. x 50 ft. and way under
today's
standards unless I was using some modern technology septic system.

So do they have the new higher requirements where you are? What will
you do when you need a new field? Deport your neighbors and use their
land?

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
wrote in message
groups.com...

. . . going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are
the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field.

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

This building permits question is answered (free) by the office
that issues building permits where you live. Your taxes have
already paid for this information.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

I did expect higher standards but public sewer and water are not
available and years from being so. Adding one of these high tech
solutions would definatly cost and deture anyone from purchasing my
home. Who wants to put up with that? There is absolutely no where else
in my yard to install another leach field. My front yard in higher up
than my backyard where the current leach field is and my side yard
holds my well. So, I'm screwed I guess. I am glad I didn't call the
inspector yet, they probabaly would have gone ahead and ordered a
solution. Then again i'm sitll holding on to hope it's not as bad as I
thought. Again, the liquid is gone from my backyard along with the
smell. It's getting pumped Monday by an expert who can tell me EXACTLY
what needs to be done, if anything.