Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Septic Repair

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:55:42 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

Don:

Yes standards are "higher" now than when my system was first installed 37
years ago (I just checked how long), what did you expect. Snarky comments
about taking over my neighbours is not a solution nor needed. While I could

I don't know what snarky means.

As to unneeded, I wanted you to see the problem from the OP's pov.
See below**

not rebuild a standard system because my drainage bed is trapped between the
house, the street, my property line and the driveway, I could probably
replace it with a high tech assisted, and expensive modern system. Although,
I would probably just hook up to the new sewer system the town installed on

You're lucky if that's an option, but a lot of people still have no
sewer to hook up to. ....I see that's the OP's situation.

my street once we resolve the dispute I and four other landowners are having
over who pays for the lateral installation. They are trying to make us pay
for full price while all other houses on the street were given laterals
free. This is in Ontario, like you.

AIUI, no one gets all posts, but I don't see a post by the OP that
says he's in Ontario. And does all of Ontario have the same rules?

**As to unneeded, there is a constant flow of people here on one issue
or another who think they have to do major overhauls no matter how
simple the problem.

The AC doesn't turn on. I think I need a new AC.

The refrigerator is too cold. Should I get a new refrigerator? Or
even, I think I need a new refrigerator.

I need new mechanisms, even though it hasn't been oiled. (This last
one was toller and he probably has oiled them before posting, but we
get other posts from people who actually haven't.)

So I don't want the OP to be convinced he has to get a new system if
he doesn't have to.

And there are the many who plainly are trying to save money, and there
are cheaper alternatives, but they are told to do things the "right
way". I prefer the right way too, but many times people have to do
less than that. A long time ago, when I repaired applicances and tvs,
mostly for students, it bothered me too when they were oonly willing
to pay for one symptom to be fixed, and didn't want to do it the right
way, by fixing the other problems (which were a lot easier and cheaper
to do when I already had the tv open.) But I kept reminding myself
that they didn't have much money.

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:06:05 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

Don:

Recheck your acre. One acre is 43560 sq. ft. A .5 acre lot is 21780 sq.
ft.
OR approximately 100 feet x 217.9 feet NOT 500 x 500 ft. My drainage field
which is 35 years old is approximately 50 ft. x 50 ft. and way under
today's
standards unless I was using some modern technology septic system.

So do they have the new higher requirements where you are? What will
you do when you need a new field? Deport your neighbors and use their
land?

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...

. . . going to have to replace leach field. My question is what are the
requirements for installing a new leach field? My home is over 30
years old and a neighbor stated that code has changed and my .5 acre
wasn't big enough to install a new leach field or even replace the
existing field.

This is obviously wrong. Leach fields are 30 or 40 feet square. You
own about 500 x 500 ft.

This building permits question is answered (free) by the office
that issues building permits where you live. Your taxes have
already paid for this information.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs