Posted to alt.home.repair

Default old briggs and stratton engine model number

I have a 1940-1960 era 3 to 3.5 hp horizontal shaft B&S engine. It
doesn't have any model / type markings anywhere on it. No label and
nothing stamped in the flywheel cover. It's original color is a
brown/bronze. I need the model number to get a replacement plunger
for the ignition system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair

Look at the flywheel cover right where it meets the spark plug. I believe
they used to be right there on top.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:
www.lightsout.org

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 1940-1960 era 3 to 3.5 hp horizontal shaft B&S engine. It
doesn't have any model / type markings anywhere on it. No label and
nothing stamped in the flywheel cover. It's original color is a
brown/bronze. I need the model number to get a replacement plunger
for the ignition system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 10:32 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
Look at the flywheel cover right where it meets the spark plug. I believe
they used to be right there on top.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:www.lightsout.org

wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a 1940-1960 era 3 to 3.5 hp horizontal shaft B&S engine. It
doesn't have any model / type markings anywhere on it. No label and
nothing stamped in the flywheel cover. It's original color is a
brown/bronze. I need the model number to get a replacement plunger
for the ignition system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Walter- Hide quoted text -

That's where it should be but there's nothing there - printed,
stamped, etc. I have seen some in shops that have it stamped in the
metal but this one is smooth and doesn't appear to have had a label
there.

Is there any other way to determine what model it is? The B&S web
site has a guide but it really hard to use. It wants the displacement
vs. horsepower, color of the engine, year made, etc. If I knew all
this, I wouldn't need the model number!

Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair

can you post a picture of it? i got some old briggs in that size. those
old engines came with a copper or brass plate rivited on with the
numbers. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...
wrote:
Look at the flywheel cover right where it meets the spark plug. I believe
they used to be right there on top.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:www.lightsout.org

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Unless it's a restoration, get the electronic ignition conversion if it will work on that
engine. Is it cast iron or aluminum? Can you provide a link to a picture?

Minimum plunger length is 0.870 inches, by the way. Far as I know, they all use the same
one..

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...

wrote:
Look at the flywheel cover right where it meets the spark plug. I believe
they used to be right there on top.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:www.lightsout.org

wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

one..- Hide quoted text -

I'll take a picture and upload it tonight. I'll check the material
of the block. I have put a new electronic ignition on it but I'm not
getting any spark at the plug still. All the wires seem to be good
and connections tight. What else could be going on?

I would like to restore it if possible but it isn't terribly
important. I looked at new 3.5 hp B&S and Honda engines. They fit
in all but one way - the exhaust as configured will hit the mini-car
rider in the back and they have a flanged vs. threaded exhaust port.
My old engine has a threaded port and I can use an elbow to divert the
exhaust. I don't know an easy way to do this with the new flanged
ports. Any thoughts on this too?

Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...

ups.com...

wrote:
Look at the flywheel cover right where it meets the spark plug. I believe
they used to be right there on top.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:www.lightsout.org

wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

If the spark plug is good, armature gap set right, magnets are good, and there's no spark,
probably a bad coil. New ones have the electronic ignition built in and are about $40-$50.
Not sure if they still make the old style without the electronic ignition. Make sure
there's no kill switch wire hanging off and touching the block.

The threaded port is 1/2" pipe. Depending on what you have you could make a plate and
thread it, make a plate and weld a pipe coupling on it, or you might be able the thread
the port on the new engine.

Unless there's a lot of mechanical problems with the old one, it should be easy to fix the
ignition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...

wrote:
Look at the flywheel cover right where it meets the spark plug. I believe
they used to be right there on top.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:www.lightsout.org

wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

I uploaded some pictures to Shutterfly. Here's the link.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...Aas2TNm1bNWLjA

If there is another way to do this, please let me know how.

I also included a picture of the buckboard mini-car that this engine
drives. I am restoring it.

Thanks,

Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

ups.com...

wrote:
Look at the flywheel cover right where it meets the spark plug. I believe
they used to be right there on top.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:www.lightsout.org

wrote in message

roups.com...

[...]

Walter,

Not sure if you got my email-at one time there was a sticker on the shroud near the carb.

Looking at it, the model number should be something like a 60402 or 80402.

6 (or 8) cubic inches
0 basic design series (may not be 0 in your case)
4 crankshaft/carb (horizontal crank, flo-jet with mechanical governor)
0 bearing type (plain)
2 starter type (rewind)

Cool car!