Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] wacNTN@yahoo.com is offline

Default old briggs and stratton engine model number

On Mar 28, 9:49 am, "Rick" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 27, 10:32 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
Look at the flywheel cover right where it meets the spark plug. I believe
they used to be right there on top.

--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one
controlling YOUR car.
Check out:www.lightsout.org

wrote in message

roups.com...

I have a 1940-1960 era 3 to 3.5 hp horizontal shaft B&S engine. It
doesn't have any model / type markings anywhere on it. No label and
nothing stamped in the flywheel cover. It's original color is a
brown/bronze. I need the model number to get a replacement plunger
for the ignition system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Walter- Hide quoted text -

That's where it should be but there's nothing there - printed,
stamped, etc. I have seen some in shops that have it stamped in the
metal but this one is smooth and doesn't appear to have had a label
there.

Is there any other way to determine what model it is? The B&S web
site has a guide but it really hard to use. It wants the displacement
vs. horsepower, color of the engine, year made, etc. If I knew all
this, I wouldn't need the model number!

Walter

Unless it's a restoration, get the electronic ignition conversion if it will work on that
engine. Is it cast iron or aluminum? Can you provide a link to a picture?

Minimum plunger length is 0.870 inches, by the way. Far as I know, they all use the same
one..- Hide quoted text -

I'll take a picture and upload it tonight. I'll check the material
of the block. I have put a new electronic ignition on it but I'm not
getting any spark at the plug still. All the wires seem to be good
and connections tight. What else could be going on?

I would like to restore it if possible but it isn't terribly
important. I looked at new 3.5 hp B&S and Honda engines. They fit
in all but one way - the exhaust as configured will hit the mini-car
rider in the back and they have a flanged vs. threaded exhaust port.
My old engine has a threaded port and I can use an elbow to divert the
exhaust. I don't know an easy way to do this with the new flanged
ports. Any thoughts on this too?

Walter