Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I found a wire coming up from my yard, what is it?

There is an exposed wire that appeared after heavy rain in my yard,
and I am not sure what it is. I followed it for a while and found a
cut end also sticking up out of the ground. The wire reads, "Essex 16
AWG Class K Type TFFN or MTW 600 volts E53446 U.L. Gasoline and Oil
Resistant or AWM."

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Tracy

Posted to alt.home.repair

indywells wrote:
There is an exposed wire that appeared after heavy rain in my yard,
and I am not sure what it is. I followed it for a while and found a
cut end also sticking up out of the ground. The wire reads, "Essex 16
AWG Class K Type TFFN or MTW 600 volts E53446 U.L. Gasoline and Oil
Resistant or AWM."

It's a buried wire that is no longer in service. Usually small wire
like that is feeding path lighting or something low power like that.
They often get cut by gardeners and people planting shrubs.

Posted to alt.home.repair
3G 3G is offline

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
| indywells wrote:
| There is an exposed wire that appeared after heavy rain in my yard,
| and I am not sure what it is. I followed it for a while and found a
| cut end also sticking up out of the ground. The wire reads, "Essex
16
| AWG Class K Type TFFN or MTW 600 volts E53446 U.L. Gasoline and Oil
| Resistant or AWM."
|
| It's a buried wire that is no longer in service.
I am assuming it is no longer being used.
but it is possible for it to still be live.

Usually small wire
| like that is feeding path lighting or something low power like that.
or any small motor in the tool shed, maybe had a carnival there once.

| They often get cut by gardeners and people planting shrubs.
so if it was cut by accident it may still be in use.

| just thought I would clarify a few things
before the OP is misled

that works

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24 Mar 2007 11:33:56 -0700, "indywells" wrote:

There is an exposed wire that appeared after heavy rain in my yard,
and I am not sure what it is. I followed it for a while and found a
cut end also sticking up out of the ground. The wire reads, "Essex 16
AWG Class K Type TFFN or MTW 600 volts E53446 U.L. Gasoline and Oil
Resistant or AWM."

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Tracy

Sounds thin, do you have an under ground service? Or does it seem to
line up with some other unground utility?

I've heard that some nonmetal underground pipes installers put a tiny
wire over it to locate later. So all just a guess.

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com