Posted to alt.home.repair

Default leaking PVC fitting

I'm installing a new pool filter, and I'm connecting a male pvc pipe
into the plastic/fiberglass? body of the filter (female connection).
I'm using a union (I think that's the term) so that I can screw a male
end into the filter separately from another female piece that I screw
onto the pvc pipe. I then have a ring which attaches these two pieces.
Frankly, while I thought it might come in handy, I also didn't know of
any other way to attach the filter (kind of hard to turn it around the
pipe, which is fixed).
Anyway, the real problem is that the male end which I'm screwing into
the filter leaks. I initially wrapped it 1-2 times with teflon, which
I later read wasn't enough. I did three wraps now, and it leaks less,
but still some. Should I do more? Or is there another thing I should
be trying, such as an O ring? Or plumber's dope? Or try another union?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 00:30:48 -0500, albee wrote:

[...]

Okay, in doing further research...

I've found that for 1 1/2" pipe, I should be using a heavy-duty teflon
tape. But aside from that, that teflon tape isn't meant as a sealant,
except for tiny deficiencies in the threading. My leak appears to be
bigger than that. Don't even know if my threads are tapered in order
to provide the necessary waterproof seal (just learned about that
"Duh" factor!). If they aren't, though, should I then be using an O
ring? And if they are, what else could be the problem? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 21, 12:09 am, albee wrote:
[...]

Yes, the teflon tape and dope are not there for sealing, they are
lubrication although as you say there may be some minor sealant
properties.

Standard PVC fittings have standard pipe taper threads. Do not
overtighten a male PVC into a female PVC as you can break the female
portion. That is the only failure I ever had with PVC (split on the
casting seam) and I have used a bunch of it.

If it is a very minor leak, i.e., a slow drip it may seal itself from
minerals in the water over time.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Mar 2007 08:06:57 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

On Mar 21, 12:09 am, albee wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but it's enough of one that it can't be "normal". I hope, and
don't think, I overtightened to the point of cracking the female, as
it's the body of the filter. I went to Ace and picked up a couple O
rings that I'll try. Unfortunately, I'm going out of town today and
need to get this up, and figuring many won't reply until tonight.
Anyway, picked up two different O rings; each is 1 9/16", just larger
than the inside diameter of the pipe; one is thicker than the other:
1/8th" vs. 3/32". Any thoughts on that?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 21, 12:30 am, albee wrote:

snip

Or plumber's dope? Or try another union?

By all means, use Teflon plunbers dope. It's more of a sealant than
the tape. Some newer parts may also be a good idea. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Mar 2007 09:10:17 -0700, "Joe" wrote:

On Mar 21, 12:30 am, albee wrote:

snip

Or plumber's dope? Or try another union?

By all means, use Teflon plunbers dope. It's more of a sealant than
the tape. Some newer parts may also be a good idea. HTH

Joe

Thanks. Hopefully, I didn't damage the union. Wouldn't think so, but
we'll see. It seems clear enough that it's a tapered thread, as the
manual says to use teflon and hand-tighten, then one more turn with a
wrench. So the only thing it should be is insufficient tape/compound.
The degree of the leak surprised me, though. But then, I just saw that
code/industry recommendations are that red teflon tape is required for
over 1/2" diameter pipes. Mine is 1 1/2". They don't even carry red
(that I could see) at Ace! Geez...
I'm on my way to get some RectorSeal plumber's dope, based on
recommendations elsewhere. Maybe it is enough. Thanks again for the