Posted to alt.home.repair
albee albee is offline

Default leaking PVC fitting

I'm installing a new pool filter, and I'm connecting a male pvc pipe
into the plastic/fiberglass? body of the filter (female connection).
I'm using a union (I think that's the term) so that I can screw a male
end into the filter separately from another female piece that I screw
onto the pvc pipe. I then have a ring which attaches these two pieces.
Frankly, while I thought it might come in handy, I also didn't know of
any other way to attach the filter (kind of hard to turn it around the
pipe, which is fixed).
Anyway, the real problem is that the male end which I'm screwing into
the filter leaks. I initially wrapped it 1-2 times with teflon, which
I later read wasn't enough. I did three wraps now, and it leaks less,
but still some. Should I do more? Or is there another thing I should
be trying, such as an O ring? Or plumber's dope? Or try another union?