Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lamp Re-Wiring And Shade Question

Hello:

Rewired a desk lamp, and put a new Harp on it.
The harp holds up the shade.

Question: all the harps I have ever seen that they sell for replacements,
have a screw diameter
out the top that is smaller than the holes in all the lamp shades I've seen.

No big deal, as i guess you can center the shade, hold it, and then tighten
down on
the fineale (is this what it's called ?) to hold it.

But was wondering: do they make a spacer to place in the shade hole to
center and accept the smaller harp screw ?

Have never seen one if they do.

What is usually done: just live with the added clearance, or... ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

Rewired a desk lamp, and put a new Harp on it.
The harp holds up the shade.

Question: all the harps I have ever seen that they sell for replacements,
have a screw diameter
out the top that is smaller than the holes in all the lamp shades I've
seen.

No big deal, as i guess you can center the shade, hold it, and then
tighten down on
the fineale (is this what it's called ?) to hold it.

But was wondering: do they make a spacer to place in the shade hole to
center and accept the smaller harp screw ?

Have never seen one if they do.

What is usually done: just live with the added clearance, or... ?

Thanks,
B.

They make nylon bushings for that purpose. Looks like a flat washer with a
sleeve. Should be available in hardware stores - Dorman, Chicago Specialty,
Levitron parts trays usually have a space for them.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:22:14 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

No big deal, as i guess you can center the shade, hold it, and then tighten
down on
the fineale (is this what it's called ?) to hold it.

Close. finial

But was wondering: do they make a spacer to place in the shade hole to
center and accept the smaller harp screw ?

Have never seen one if they do.

Me neither.

What is usually done: just live with the added clearance, or... ?

I store my drugs in there. The cops haven't looked there yet.