Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas valve fails to put gas to ignition cycle

I have a 80% keeprite furnace that is 12 years old. The problem is
that the igniter spark is working fine but the gas flow to the igniter
gives problems on a monthly consistant repeat problem throughout
winter. I have tapped the gas valve where the small tube goes to
supply the igniter to start the pilot cycle, this seems to correct the
problem as said above afor about a month. Two questions I would like
to ask here, 1st there is a screw next to the tube covered and
recessed is the for presser or more gas flow or less?, 2nd what kind
of valve or gizmo is this as I have replaced this furnace gas valve
twice before and this honeywell valve seems to be a recurring trouble,
also could I lubebricate this valve or is this a no no? thx
willsmith101 march18/07

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

wrote:
I have a 80% keeprite furnace that is 12 years old. The problem is
that the igniter spark is working fine but the gas flow to the igniter
gives problems on a monthly consistant repeat problem throughout
winter. I have tapped the gas valve where the small tube goes to
supply the igniter to start the pilot cycle, this seems to correct the
problem as said above afor about a month. Two questions I would like
to ask here, 1st there is a screw next to the tube covered and
recessed is the for presser or more gas flow or less?, 2nd what kind
of valve or gizmo is this as I have replaced this furnace gas valve
twice before and this honeywell valve seems to be a recurring trouble,
also could I lubebricate this valve or is this a no no? thx
willsmith101 march18/07

Messing with gas is not for those who do not understand what they are
about to do, because a mistake could cause serious consequences. I do
not know your abilities, but that is the first thing you should consider.

Having said that, many times the problems with the flow of gas for the
pilot is simply a plugged hole in that line. There is a small hole at
the end of the line about the size of a pin hole. See if it is fully
open. You could have a consistent/reoccurring gas valve failure, but it
would be rare. There is generally an adjustment to the flow of gas for
the pilot and it can be found in the installation manual for the gas
valve. The maker of the valve probably has this available on their
website. When you read their manual, you will determine they advise you
NOT to open or lubricate the gas valve. AGAIN, unless you are SURE what
you are doing and feel 100% confident of your abilities, you might be
better off hiring someone who does. Good luck.