Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anchor to prevent freestanding bookshelf from tipping over

I have toddlers (need I say more?). I would like to anchor a
freestanding bookshelf to the wall so that it does not topple over in
case any of them have climbing aspirations.

The L-bracket works well for shelves in which the back is open, but I
was hoping to find some kind of canvas strap to use for my closed
shelves. Any suggestions?

Stephen

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If the shelf is closed use a long wood screw or toggle bolt with a fender
washer into the wall behind it

"Stephen_B" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have toddlers (need I say more?). I would like to anchor a
freestanding bookshelf to the wall so that it does not topple over in
case any of them have climbing aspirations.

The L-bracket works well for shelves in which the back is open, but I
was hoping to find some kind of canvas strap to use for my closed
shelves. Any suggestions?

Stephen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 11:33 am, "Stephen_B" wrote:
I have toddlers (need I say more?). I would like to anchor a
freestanding bookshelf to the wall so that it does not topple over in
case any of them have climbing aspirations.

The L-bracket works well for shelves in which the back is open, but I
was hoping to find some kind of canvas strap to use for my closed
shelves. Any suggestions?

Stephen

It's an odd solution but acceptable. A type of strap with a
ratcheting mechanism will do the job. They are used as woodworking
clamps and also as truck tie-downs. You could put eye bolts into the
nearest studs and attach the strap clamp to those. Straps like that
are available at any hardware store or building center. Beware, these
straps can be overtightened possible damaging your furniture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly screws worked on my mothers 2 pieced hutch.

--
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well

"Stephen_B" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have toddlers (need I say more?). I would like to anchor a
freestanding bookshelf to the wall so that it does not topple over in
case any of them have climbing aspirations.

The L-bracket works well for shelves in which the back is open, but I
was hoping to find some kind of canvas strap to use for my closed
shelves. Any suggestions?

Stephen

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stephen_B wrote:
I have toddlers (need I say more?). I would like to anchor a
freestanding bookshelf to the wall so that it does not topple over in
case any of them have climbing aspirations.

The L-bracket works well for shelves in which the back is open, but I
was hoping to find some kind of canvas strap to use for my closed
shelves. Any suggestions?

Only the most modest of anchoring is necessary. If you look at the mechanics
involved - or even try an experiement - you'll see that a mere string
attached to the top of the bookcase and anchored to the wall via a picture
hook will suffice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 18 Mar 2007 09:33:05 -0700, "Stephen_B"
wrote:

I have toddlers (need I say more?). I would like to anchor a
freestanding bookshelf to the wall so that it does not topple over in
case any of them have climbing aspirations.

The L-bracket works well for shelves in which the back is open, but I
was hoping to find some kind of canvas strap to use for my closed
shelves. Any suggestions?

Sounds ugly.

I like RBM'se screw through the back of the book shelf idea. If your
shelf is 16 inches or wider, you can even find a stud to screw it
into, and although that is not necessary, it would mean you could
drill a narrower hole and use a narrower screw. Won't the screw head
and big washer be hidden by books?

My sister was in California for the big earthquake, not that close,
and some sort of wardrobe or bookshelf fell on her bed. Not good.

Stephen

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have toddlers (need I say more?). I would like to anchor a
freestanding bookshelf to the wall so that it does not topple over in
case any of them have climbing aspirations.

The L-bracket works well for shelves in which the back is open, but I
was hoping to find some kind of canvas strap to use for my closed
shelves. Any suggestions?

Sounds ugly.

I like RBM'se screw through the back of the book shelf idea. If your
shelf is 16 inches or wider, you can even find a stud to screw it
into, and although that is not necessary, it would mean you could
drill a narrower hole and use a narrower screw. Won't the screw head
and big washer be hidden by books?

My sister was in California for the big earthquake, not that close,
and some sort of wardrobe or bookshelf fell on her bed. Not good.

I'll second this one- a long drywall screw and a fender washer, through the
back of the bookcase, into a stud. Put it where something on the shelf will
hide it from casual view. May wanna use a black sharpie or paint on the
washer. You may need to add a small block behind the bookcase as a spacer,
if the baseboard/shoemold/carpet tack strip makes it tilt or sit too far
from wall. Yeah, it leaves a tiny hole in the bookcase, but who cares?
Anyone who actually uses bookcases understands why it is there, and won't
mind, since they will be belaying it off when they get it home anyway. Any
sort of tall tippy furniture should be tied off in houses with kids, or in
earthquake country. Kids can't HELP climbing- it is in the hardwiring. You
take a crawling baby that has never seen stairs, set it at the base of a
stair case, especially a carpeted one where it can get traction, and it WILL
climb, no matter what you tell it. Same thing with toddlers and things that
look like ladders.

aem sends.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:50:14 -0400, mm
wrote:

If your
shelf is 16 inches or wider, you can even find a stud to screw it
into,

I"msloppy. You can probably find a stud now matter how narrow the
shelves are. If they are 16 inches or more, there is sure to be a
stud behind the shelves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stephen_B" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have toddlers (need I say more?). I would like to anchor a
freestanding bookshelf to the wall so that it does not topple over in
case any of them have climbing aspirations.

The L-bracket works well for shelves in which the back is open, but I
was hoping to find some kind of canvas strap to use for my closed
shelves. Any suggestions?

Stephen

You could install an L bracket between the top and the wall. It can be
hidden easily and would certainly look better than a strap.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 10:20 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Stephen_B wrote:
I have toddlers (need I say more?). I would like to anchor a
freestanding bookshelf to the wall so that it does not topple over in
case any of them have climbing aspirations.

The L-bracket works well for shelves in which the back is open, but I
was hoping to find some kind of canvas strap to use for my closed
shelves. Any suggestions?

Only the most modest of anchoring is necessary. If you look at the mechanics
involved - or even try an experiement - you'll see that a mere string
attached to the top of the bookcase and anchored to the wall via a picture
hook will suffice.

Yep. The physics are that it doesn't take much of a pull to topple
one. By extension, it doesn't take much of an anchor to prevent it.

I find that a simple drywall plug/screw is enough. One of those
little plastic plugs you slip into a hole and the screw goes into it
is more than sufficient.

Not to say that it couldn't be pulled over but it would take more than
a kid pulling/climbing on it. Not sure that I could do it without
yanking it.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have toddlers (need I say more?). I would like to anchor a
freestanding bookshelf to the wall so that it does not topple over in
case any of them have climbing aspirations.

The L-bracket works well for shelves in which the back is open, but I
was hoping to find some kind of canvas strap to use for my closed
shelves. Any suggestions?

Stephen

I used two heavy duty eye-bolts and a heavy cord to connect them. Got
me some practice at making bowline knows.

worked for me....

tom @ www.MedJobSite.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stephen_B wrote:
I have toddlers (need I say more?). I would like to anchor a
freestanding bookshelf to the wall so that it does not topple over in
case any of them have climbing aspirations.

The L-bracket works well for shelves in which the back is open, but I
was hoping to find some kind of canvas strap to use for my closed
shelves. Any suggestions?

Only the most modest of anchoring is necessary. If you look at the mechanics
involved - or even try an experiement - you'll see that a mere string
attached to the top of the bookcase and anchored to the wall via a picture
hook will suffice.

Yep. The physics are that it doesn't take much of a pull to topple
one. By extension, it doesn't take much of an anchor to prevent it.

I always but something under the FRONT of the bookcase to make it lean
back against the wall. This is not permanent, and doesn't interfere
with moving the thing.

I find that a simple drywall plug/screw is enough. One of those
little plastic plugs you slip into a hole and the screw goes into it
is more than sufficient.

Not to say that it couldn't be pulled over but it would take more than
a kid pulling/climbing on it. Not sure that I could do it without
yanking it.

Harry K

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."

Tipping tradespeople? [email protected] Home Repair 24 November 6th 06 11:04 PM
Tipping builders - stupidity or benevolence peterd UK diy 7 June 12th 06 10:45 AM
Tipping movers Peter Twydell UK diy 7 December 11th 05 08:52 PM
Tipping bucket for fountain. Jim Sehr Metalworking 8 June 5th 05 09:59 PM