Posted to uk.d-i-y
peterd

Default Tipping builders - stupidity or benevolence

Hi - the builders working on my dormer conversion have nearly finished
and I'm wondering whether or not I should give them a tip (no quips
please) when they're done. They don't run/own the company, just work
for it.

Any opinions ?

Cheers

Peter

PS I'm not American

Posted to uk.d-i-y
screamin

"peterd" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi - the builders working on my dormer conversion have nearly finished
and I'm wondering whether or not I should give them a tip (no quips
please) when they're done. They don't run/own the company, just work
for it.

I wouldn't neccesarily give them a cash tip, maybe a couple of cases of beer
to share between them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Andrews

"screamin" wrote in message
"peterd" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi - the builders working on my dormer conversion have nearly finished
and I'm wondering whether or not I should give them a tip (no quips
please) when they're done. They don't run/own the company, just work
for it.

I wouldn't neccesarily give them a cash tip, maybe a couple of cases of

beer
to share between them?

I did this for a guy who came around and dug out the trenches for my garage
with a digger. He did a superb job (that I would have taken at least two
days - or more - if I'd done what I originally intended to do - just to hire
mini-digger). Turned out he was teetotal (following over-consuption earlier
in his life), so I had to drink it myself :-) Meant a trip back to buy him a
carton of ciggs...

He did seem to be very surprised by it all though..

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message . com
from "peterd" contains these words:

Hi - the builders working on my dormer conversion have nearly finished
and I'm wondering whether or not I should give them a tip (no quips
please) when they're done. They don't run/own the company, just work
for it.

Have they been helpful, friendly, clean, tidy, prompt etc? If I were
happy with 'em I'd sling 'em a case of beer or two.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , Guy King
writes
The message . com
from "peterd" contains these words:

Hi - the builders working on my dormer conversion have nearly finished
and I'm wondering whether or not I should give them a tip (no quips
please) when they're done. They don't run/own the company, just work
for it.

Have they been helpful, friendly, clean, tidy, prompt etc? If I were
happy with 'em I'd sling 'em a case of beer or two.

Yeah why not?, come on handy for this weekends shenanigans

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

peterd wrote:
Hi - the builders working on my dormer conversion have nearly finished
and I'm wondering whether or not I should give them a tip (no quips
please) when they're done. They don't run/own the company, just work
for it.

Any opinions ?

I thought about doing this after our extension build. They did a good
job, but I paid a fair amount for it too, so I didn't tip. I did offer
to provide recommendations for the builder to any future customers
though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

peterd wrote:
Hi - the builders working on my dormer conversion have nearly finished
and I'm wondering whether or not I should give them a tip (no quips
please) when they're done. They don't run/own the company, just work
for it.

Any opinions ?

Cheers

Peter

The time to tip them is when they're about 3/4 finished. That way you
get a REALLY good finish and maybe a few bits left over like the odd
box of screws or tube of mastic.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
peterd

John wrote:
peterd wrote:
Hi - the builders working on my dormer conversion have nearly finished
and I'm wondering whether or not I should give them a tip (no quips
please) when they're done. They don't run/own the company, just work
for it.

Any opinions ?

Cheers

Peter

The time to tip them is when they're about 3/4 finished. That way you
get a REALLY good finish and maybe a few bits left over like the odd
box of screws or tube of mastic.

John

Thanks for all the advice - they're due to finish this week so will get
a couple of crates of beer in.

Cheers

Peter