Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Anchor to prevent freestanding bookshelf from tipping over

On 18 Mar 2007 19:38:57 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

On Mar 18, 10:20 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Stephen_B wrote:
I have toddlers (need I say more?). I would like to anchor a
freestanding bookshelf to the wall so that it does not topple over in
case any of them have climbing aspirations.

The L-bracket works well for shelves in which the back is open, but I
was hoping to find some kind of canvas strap to use for my closed
shelves. Any suggestions?

Only the most modest of anchoring is necessary. If you look at the mechanics
involved - or even try an experiement - you'll see that a mere string
attached to the top of the bookcase and anchored to the wall via a picture
hook will suffice.

Yep. The physics are that it doesn't take much of a pull to topple
one. By extension, it doesn't take much of an anchor to prevent it.

I always but something under the FRONT of the bookcase to make it lean
back against the wall. This is not permanent, and doesn't interfere
with moving the thing.

I find that a simple drywall plug/screw is enough. One of those
little plastic plugs you slip into a hole and the screw goes into it
is more than sufficient.

Not to say that it couldn't be pulled over but it would take more than
a kid pulling/climbing on it. Not sure that I could do it without
yanking it.

Harry K

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."