Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil Based Primer...

Had I not discovered this *problem* I'd have been content to just paint
over
everything and be done w/ it. But now that I know....... I'd prefer do it
right.
Or as right as possible.

If you had just painted over it, it would have worked fine. It is quite
normal to be able to easily scrape texturing off of drywall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C-Dub" wrote in message

On 17-Mar-2007, "Charles Schuler" wrote:

Had I not discovered this *problem* I'd have been content to just
paint over everything and be done w/ it. But now that I know.......
I'd prefer do it right. Or as right as possible.

If you had just painted over it, it would have worked fine.

And so you're saying that I shouldn't have bothered at all with the
prep? And painted right over the chunks of falling debris instead? : )

Your original post made no mention of falling debris. You might have a
moisture problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I checked the attic when I first noticed the problem and didn't see
any evidence of a leak: no stains on the sheetrock or anything like that.
And since humidity is not really an issue here, I'm going to say, no, I
don't thing it's a moisture problem...

Well then, (if the ceiling is falling in patches) you are dealing with an
improper installation and subsequent failure of the texture material which
will have to be removed. I fail to see how an oil-based primer will
penetrate through the latex paint and then through the texture material and
then bond to the paper coating on the dry wall. Good luck!