Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1980s Simplicity 6216 Garden Tractor loses drive power

My Simplicity 6216 garden tractor doesn't get up to full speed and
actually loses speed on an uphill grade. I have adjusted the clutch
and brake according to the manual....
http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/67...01_00_XX_S.pdf
....and have not made any progress.

I have cleaned the variable pulley and replaced the belts.
Transmission fluid is up to the proper level.

When mowing or plowing snow, the ground speed increases very slowly
but does not top out.

When the clutch/brake is released, the tractor starts to move. As
expected, speed increases. As it does, the pedal will slowly raise and
when the tractor is moving full speed the pedal should be all the way
up. However, the pedal never comes all the way up and full speed is
never achieved.

When climbing a hill in the yard the ground speed decreases amd on
level ground it increases somewhat. On a downhill grade the speed
increases somewhat.

I think the symptoms get worse as the engine warms up.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Just a wag, but it sounds like it's loosing power under a load, which is
what the governor compensates for. See if you can find info on adjusting the
governor

"sofasurfer" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 11 Mar 2007 19:27:37 -0700, "sofasurfer"
wrote:

Any ideas what the problem is?

How does the engine run when there is no load? Does it speed up
normally when the throttle is pusheed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any ideas what the problem is?

How does the engine run when there is no load? Does it speed up
normally when the throttle is pusheed?

The engine runs fine. Throttles up good. Runs smooth.
I'll take it out tomorrow and drive it up some hills with no mowers or
anything on and let you know how it goes.
I will tell you a couple more things about it.
It has a variable pulley that controls the ground speed. The pulley
seems to operate freely.

The ground speed increases as the pedal comes up...or the pedal comes
up as the ground speed increases. Potatoe, potaato.

I mentioned that the pedal comes up slowly but does not come all the
way up. But if you manually PULL the pedal all the way up, the ground
speed increases to full speed. But when you let go of the pedal, the
pedal goes back to a "less-than-all-the-way-up" position. So, its like
something is inhibiting it. But like I said, its worse when the
tractor runs a little while.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Worn Belts.

Weak sheath springs.

Or a combination of both.

Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 12, 10:01 am,

Weak sheath springs.

What is the sheath spring?

Posted to alt.home.repair

sofasurfer wrote:

On Mar 12, 10:01 am,

Weak sheath springs.

What is the sheath spring?

The return spring(s) for the moveable halves of the drive pulleys. It
sounds like they've weakened, and/or the shafts & ramps have gone
dry(need lube), and the belts are probably worn too, if you've never
serviced the pulleys before.

From your description, it sounds like you have the variable diameter
pulley transmission. They do need attention now & then.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

trainfan1 wrote:

sofasurfer wrote:

On Mar 12, 10:01 am,

Weak sheath springs.

What is the sheath spring?

The return spring(s) for the moveable halves of the drive pulleys. It
sounds like they've weakened, and/or the shafts & ramps have gone
dry(need lube), and the belts are probably worn too, if you've never
serviced the pulleys before.

From your description, it sounds like you have the variable diameter
pulley transmission. They do need attention now & then.

Rob

A simple diagram:

http://www.dansmc.com/hon_odyssey_clutch.jpg

Rob