Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark

Default Ideas for Garden Tractor Loader

I just finished building a 3-point hitch for my Murray garden tractor.
Lift power is via a 12 volt cable winch. Everything else was fabricated
with steel, all welded (except actual attachment to tractor). Finally
got to test it yesterday, and while it will need a couple tweeks, it
works well.

Now I want to build a loader (trip bucket). Unlike a farm tractor, there
isn't much room to work with in terms of mounting, and I don't have
hydraulics.

I'm looking for conceptual ideas in two areas on how to go about
constructing this.
1. Mounting method (to frame) that will be solid and give me about 5' of
lift at the bucket.
2. Method and mechanics of lifting without the use of hydraulics (will
probably use another winch same as I used for the three-point).

An alternative is if someone has knowledge of inexpensive hydraulic
parts. I can get the cable winch for $50, so wouldn't be willing to
spend a ton more than that on hydraulic pump/valve/cylinders.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don D.

Look at the swisher.com site for ideas, (ATV) You could make a frame for the
attachments. or get the idea for the dump that they use.
Just a thought
Don D.

"Mark" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bernd

"Mark" wrote in message
.net...
An alternative is if someone has knowledge of inexpensive hydraulic
parts. I can get the cable winch for $50, so wouldn't be willing to
spend a ton more than that on hydraulic pump/valve/cylinders.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mark

A used power pack from an old snow plow truck. Should have everything
your looking for.

Bernd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 20:33:31 -0500, Mark
wrote:

In article ,
says...
"Mark" wrote in message
.net...

An alternative is if someone has knowledge of inexpensive hydraulic
parts. I can get the cable winch for $50, so wouldn't be willing to
spend a ton more than that on hydraulic pump/valve/cylinders.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mark

A used power pack from an old snow plow truck. Should have everything
your looking for.

Bernd

Thanks to all three of you (Dan, Don, Bernd) for some excellent ideas.
Mark

And remember that you can use a "repurposed" 12VDC pump powerpack
without having an alternator on the tractor - just mount a deep-cycle
and recharge the battery at the end of the session.

Might want a 120V battery warmer blanket for it that is plugged in
when the tractor is parked and you are charging it - batteries don't
put out much when near freezing, and depleted battery electrolyte can
freeze and damage the case.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:39:02 -0500, Mark
wrote:

[...]

Cadplans.com has just what you are looking for.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Miller

Now I want to build a loader (trip bucket). Unlike a farm tractor, there
isn't much room to work with in terms of mounting, and I don't have
hydraulics.

I'm looking for conceptual ideas in two areas on how to go about
constructing this.
1. Mounting method (to frame) that will be solid and give me about 5' of
lift at the bucket.
2. Method and mechanics of lifting without the use of hydraulics (will
probably use another winch same as I used for the three-point).

I might have missed some of this thread as I have not seen any cautions
about the 5' of lift. Seems to me that to lift a full bucket to this
height requires at least an equal weight on the rear of the tractor for
a counterbalance.

When I first mounted the snowblower on the front of my JD 216 I did not
mount a counter weight on the rear. This caused an extremely light rear
end and gave very little traction. An equal amount of weight on the rear
cured the problem.

Good luck and have fun