Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sewer Repair - Opinions?

I need to get my sewer line repaired and I'd be interested in any
opinions. In a very odd way it has been fascinating to see different
companies' diagnoses and recommendations. I never thought I'd say a
sewer repair could be fascinating.

Total line length is roughly 80'.

I have two problems:
1. Crack in the line about 6' from basement wall. (The main line
exits the house through the basement wall - about 4' above the slab.)
We had water coming back into the basement in the small gap between
the sewer line and the putty that sealed the hole in the basement
wall. This crack is located under a wooden-decked wrap-around porch.
2. 10' section of pipe that has a belly in it. This section is
completely under water. This section is located approximately 20'
down the line from the basement.

Plumber #1: Suggests a trenchless line bursting - replace all 80'.
$10K. I've eliminated this solution because I understand this won't
fix bellying like what I have and the majority of the 80' line is OK.
Plumber #2: Suggests conventional repairs for both problems - dig
them up and fix. They haven't generated numbers yet, but it's a local
company that is considered good but quite expensive. The fixing of
the crack would likely involve removing porch planks and bringing in a
backhoe. Very painful.
Plumber #3: Suggests a conventional replacement of the 10' belly.
Dig it up and replace the section ensuring proper sloping.
Additionally, since this will open up the pipe, do a pipe relining
upstream (toward the house) to go sufficiently past the crack. It's
the Maxliner system. Its a flexible fiberglass tube that is soaked in
resin and cured in place. This enables fixing the crack without
digging it up. And since it's under the porch this is a big benefit.
They're quoting $4,600.

Anyone have any experience with relining? It certainly seems like an
attractive way to go.

Thanks.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 9:06�pm, "
wrote:
[...]

I woul;d do the reline & fix belly low area. relining although new
works very well.

have any motivated exercise friends to do the digging if the line isnt
real deep?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 7, 8:06 pm, "
wrote:

snip

Anyone have any experience with relining? It certainly seems like an
attractive way to go.

Thanks.

Jim

Don't commit to relining until the company gives you some references
to their successful jobs that you can verify. Check out the oldest
ones first to assess durability. HTH

Joe

DIY Sewer Line Repair TrailRunner Home Repair 6 August 22nd 06 02:47 AM
"Krak Kote" For Drywall Repair: Opinions On ? Or, Consider Vinyl Spackle ? Robert11 Home Repair 2 December 13th 05 03:42 AM
Estimate comparison for tunnel under house to repair sewer line miamicuse Home Repair 5 July 25th 05 08:11 PM
Sewer [email protected] UK diy 2 September 10th 04 01:30 PM
Sewer Line Repair / Replacement Mike Home Repair 7 July 4th 04 02:33 PM