Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom: architect versus contractor? which contractor?

We are new to Boston area (Newton) and have no idea where to find a
good contractor to do major overhaul of our master bathroom. It will
be doubled in size, expanded into adjacent room, all new fixtures,
tile, lighting, etc. We have a rough idea for the vision of what it
will look like but need specific design and contracting help.

Two questions:

1. Should we start with an architect, or a contractor? This will be a
relatively high-end bathroom, but I am still hoping that a good
contractor can provide the design know-how to avoid involving an
architect. House is 1890, we do not have the architectural plans.

2. Any recommendations for how to find a terrific contractor to do the
work?
specific names, or even a process we could use to find good contractor
names, would be helpful.
We are trying to avoid "throwing darts at names in the yellow pages".

Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"russ-bo" wrote in message

1. Should we start with an architect, or a contractor? This will be a
relatively high-end bathroom, but I am still hoping that a good
contractor can provide the design know-how to avoid involving an
architect. House is 1890, we do not have the architectural plans.

So, you want to put in a high end bathroom but want to cut corners to do the
job right. Contractors, designers, and architects all do different things,
but there is some overlap of expertise. Major renovation on an 1890 house
is a bit of a crap shoot anyway unless you know how it is built. Especially
critical if drain lines must be moved.

2. Any recommendations for how to find a terrific contractor to do the
work?

Talk tot he neighbors. If your house is one of several of the same design
and can find a contractor that recently did a bathroom, you may be lucky.
You may find a contractor that has the expertise to do the mechanical
aspects of the job, but has really poor design taste. That is where the
architects and/or designer earns their keep.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 9:39�am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"russ-bo" wrote in message

[...]

Silva brothers construction, the this old house people are from
boston.

I always thought it would be interesting to hire them

Posted to alt.home.repair

"russ-bo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

There is such a thing as design-build contracting firms. Some of them are
licensed architects that have their own construction company and some just
have an architect or designer on staff. Maybe you can try going to
showrooms and supply companies to locate some of them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 10:04 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
brevity snip
There is such a thing as design-build contracting firms. Some of them are
licensed architects that have their own construction company and some just
have an architect or designer on staff. Maybe you can try going to
showrooms and supply companies to locate some of them.

Cabinet companies often offer design services for both kitchens and
baths, sometimes there's a guy who specializes in remodels. Usually
these companies have a couple/few contractors they work with.
-----

- gpsman

Contractor KTECH Home Repair 0 November 10th 05 09:47 PM
Contractor KTECH Home Repair 1 September 22nd 05 09:40 PM
I got shafted by a contractor - what to do? HomeBrewer Home Repair 26 July 2nd 05 04:15 AM
what have you done with contractor saw? Mike W. Woodworking 20 January 8th 05 08:23 AM
Do I need a Contractor anonomous Home Repair 1 November 1st 04 12:18 PM