Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom: architect versus contractor? which contractor?

"russ-bo" wrote in message

1. Should we start with an architect, or a contractor? This will be a
relatively high-end bathroom, but I am still hoping that a good
contractor can provide the design know-how to avoid involving an
architect. House is 1890, we do not have the architectural plans.

So, you want to put in a high end bathroom but want to cut corners to do the
job right. Contractors, designers, and architects all do different things,
but there is some overlap of expertise. Major renovation on an 1890 house
is a bit of a crap shoot anyway unless you know how it is built. Especially
critical if drain lines must be moved.

2. Any recommendations for how to find a terrific contractor to do the
work?

Talk tot he neighbors. If your house is one of several of the same design
and can find a contractor that recently did a bathroom, you may be lucky.
You may find a contractor that has the expertise to do the mechanical
aspects of the job, but has really poor design taste. That is where the
architects and/or designer earns their keep.