Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom: architect versus contractor? which contractor?

On Mar 4, 9:39�am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"russ-bo" wrote in message

1. Should we start with an architect, or a contractor? *This will be a
relatively high-end bathroom, but I am still hoping that a good
contractor can provide the design know-how to avoid involving an
architect. *House is 1890, we do not have the architectural plans.

So, you want to put in a high end bathroom but want to cut corners to do the
job right. * Contractors, designers, and architects all do different things,
but there is some overlap of expertise. *Major renovation on an 1890 house
is a bit of a crap shoot anyway unless you know how it is built. *Especially
critical if drain lines must be moved.

2. Any recommendations for how to find a terrific contractor to do the
work?

Talk tot he neighbors. *If your house is one of several of the same design
and can find a contractor that recently did a bathroom, you may be lucky.
You may find a contractor that has the expertise to do the mechanical
aspects of the job, but has really poor design taste. *That is where the
architects and/or designer earns their keep.

Silva brothers construction, the this old house people are from
boston.

I always thought it would be interesting to hire them