Posted to alt.home.repair

Default putting on insulation backwards

On one wall I have to install insulation, but unfortunately its going to be
installed on the wrong side of the wall for the vapor barrier. I personally
haven't found a source for insulation that doesn't have a vapor barrier -
otherwise this would be a moot point, but I'm wondering if I can just push
the insulation into the wall - vapor barrier and all. It should stay put
from friction but I didn't want to just start stuffing it in there and have
it turn out to be a bad idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 11:34 pm, "Eigenvector" wrote:
On one wall I have to install insulation, but unfortunately its going to be
installed on the wrong side of the wall for the vapor barrier. I personally
haven't found a source for insulation that doesn't have a vapor barrier -
otherwise this would be a moot point, but I'm wondering if I can just push
the insulation into the wall - vapor barrier and all. It should stay put
from friction but I didn't want to just start stuffing it in there and have
it turn out to be a bad idea.

The vapor barrier on fiberglass insulation can be peeled off quite
easily.

I last bought fiberglass insulation in 2000. There were several
choices of "no-vapor-barrier" insulations available then. Are you
sure you looked hard enough?

-Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
On one wall I have to install insulation, but unfortunately its going
to be installed on the wrong side of the wall for the vapor barrier. I
personally haven't found a source for insulation that doesn't have
a vapor barrier - otherwise this would be a moot point, but I'm
wondering if I can just push the insulation into the wall - vapor
barrier and all. It should stay put from friction but I didn't want
to just start stuffing it in there and have it turn out to be a bad
idea.

If I understand you correctly you are working from the cold side so the
vapor barrier should be on the other side. Yes you normally could use just
friction fit. As noted the barrier usually comes off easy or you can slit
it if that is not possible. I would use friction fit to keep the barrier
where it belongs.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Alright, just checking. Another person asked why I wasn't looking too hard
for non-backed insulation and the answer to that was because I have a bunch
of rolls of backed insulation already.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:34:31 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

On one wall I have to install insulation, but unfortunately its going to be
installed on the wrong side of the wall for the vapor barrier. I personally
haven't found a source for insulation that doesn't have a vapor barrier -
otherwise this would be a moot point, but I'm wondering if I can just push
the insulation into the wall - vapor barrier and all. It should stay put
from friction but I didn't want to just start stuffing it in there and have
it turn out to be a bad idea.

Why are you installing it backwards?

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 1:39 pm, "DanG" wrote:
Shove it in with the VB the correct direction, friction will hold
it just fine..

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

. ..

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

By installing on the wrong side, if you mean you're installing it from
the outside of the house then push it in with the vapour barrier on
the warm in winter side - the inside if you are in a cold area. If
there is already an inside vapour barrier then you sould slice the
vapourt barrier on the new insulation so you don't trap moisture in
the wall.

David