Henry

Default Dremel runs backwards!

Variable speed Dremel tool model 380-5, runs backwards. I believe that
sometime in the past I have taken it apart (I forget why) so did I
rearrange something?

(It's a good thing I'm not a heart surgeon.)

Henry
Jeff Wisnia

Henry wrote:

Variable speed Dremel tool model 380-5, runs backwards. I believe that
sometime in the past I have taken it apart (I forget why) so did I
rearrange something?

(It's a good thing I'm not a heart surgeon.)

Henry

You probably reversed the leads going to the two commutator brushes.
Take it apart again and see if you can swap them.

That's how you reverse a "universal" motor, which is what's in a Dremel.

It could also have happened if you removed the stator and somehow
managed to replace it flipped end for end without disconnecting the
leads going to it, but that's a very slim possibility.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Henry

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Henry wrote:

Variable speed Dremel tool model 380-5, runs backwards. I believe
that sometime in the past I have taken it apart (I forget why) so did
I rearrange something?

(It's a good thing I'm not a heart surgeon.)

Henry

You probably reversed the leads going to the two commutator brushes.
Take it apart again and see if you can swap them.

That's how you reverse a "universal" motor, which is what's in a Dremel.

It could also have happened if you removed the stator and somehow
managed to replace it flipped end for end without disconnecting the
leads going to it, but that's a very slim possibility.

HTH,

Jeff

Thanks to Jeff for solution. I opened it up, saw that there was no way
I could have reversed the leads, so tried flipping stator end for end.
BINGO!

Henry

Rick Brandt

Henry wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Thanks to Jeff for solution. I opened it up, saw that there was no
way I could have reversed the leads, so tried flipping stator end for
end. BINGO!

Henry

I've always thought they should run the other direction anyway. When doing most
things right-handed the normal rotation throws the debris right back at the
operator (especially fun when using those fragile cutting wheels).

Jeff Wisnia

Rick Brandt wrote:
Henry wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Thanks to Jeff for solution. I opened it up, saw that there was no
way I could have reversed the leads, so tried flipping stator end for
end. BINGO!

Henry

I've always thought they should run the other direction anyway. When doing most
things right-handed the normal rotation throws the debris right back at the
operator (especially fun when using those fragile cutting wheels).

Yeah, that's fine for stones and cutting wheels, but whereya gonna find
left hand cutting burrs, and very small LH drill bits are near
impossible to find and sky high in cost if you do.

Just wear some kind of glasses to protect your eyes. :-)

Jeff (Happily doing his silly "toldjaso dance" for Henry...The dance he
stole from a "Will and Grace" TV episode.)

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Dr. Hardcrab

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote

Jeff (Happily doing his silly "toldjaso dance" for Henry...The dance he
stole from a "Will and Grace" TV episode.)

Jeff

Anything like the Pee Pee dance???

(sorry. Don't watch much TV let alone Will & Grace....)

Jeff Wisnia

Dr. Hardcrab wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote

Jeff (Happily doing his silly "toldjaso dance" for Henry...The dance he
stole from a "Will and Grace" TV episode.)

Jeff

Anything like the Pee Pee dance???

(sorry. Don't watch much TV let alone Will & Grace....)

With me it's mostly Fox News, but SWMBO watches reruns of Will and Grace
to put her to sleep, and I think it's pretty funny. Grace's "Told you
so" song, sometimes accompanied by a little jiggly dance, keeps coming
up in various episodes.

Through the almost unbelievable magic of Google it was but 'the matter
of a moment' to grab this piece of a show script:

**********************

WILL: Grace, I'm really not in the mood for this.

GRACE: I don't care. You're going to listen to me. You may be on top of
the world right now, but there is a thing called karma, and one of these
days, it's going to come back, and it's gonna bite you on the ass. And
when it does, I'm going to be standing over you singing the told you so
song. Oh, how's that go again? [SING-SONG] Told you so, told you so,
told ya, told ya, told ya so.

JACK: Mother of God, make her stop.

Jeff

--