Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric drill question

I have two Porter Cable electric drills. One uses a 14 volt rechargeable
battery and the other a 12 volt. The 12 volt battery appears to work on the
14 volt drill quite well. The question is - if I were to use it in place
the 14 would it damage the battery? The 14 is about shot.

--
******************************
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dave" wrote in message
I have two Porter Cable electric drills. One uses a 14 volt rechargeable
battery and the other a 12 volt. The 12 volt battery appears to work on
the 14 volt drill quite well. The question is - if I were to use it in
place the 14 would it damage the battery? The 14 is about shot.

Should be fine ... you already tried it. There will be a bit less torque
and power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Schuler wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
I have two Porter Cable electric drills. One uses a 14 volt rechargeable
battery and the other a 12 volt. The 12 volt battery appears to work on
the 14 volt drill quite well. The question is - if I were to use it in
place the 14 would it damage the battery? The 14 is about shot.

Should be fine ... you already tried it. There will be a bit less torque
and power.

And more current. Thus more heat, both for the battery and the drill
motor. Might shorten life of both.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bah humbug. Just use a corded drill.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 10:55:06 -0500, Hep wrote:

All that being said... I still like having the cordless drill around
for those times when it makes my task less grueling.

I've really only used mine for screwing in gutter screws. I could
have done it with a corded drill, but the cordless drill was lighter
and easier to handle up and down the ladder.

It was great for gutter screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:53:50 -0800, CptDondo
wrote:

Charles Schuler wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
I have two Porter Cable electric drills. One uses a 14 volt
rechargeable
battery and the other a 12 volt. The 12 volt battery appears to work
on
the 14 volt drill quite well. The question is - if I were to use it
in
place the 14 would it damage the battery? The 14 is about shot.

Should be fine ... you already tried it. There will be a bit less
torque
and power.

And more current. Thus more heat, both for the battery and the drill
motor. Might shorten life of both.

When will this insanity stop? In a DC motor less voltage means less
current, not more. ... by the square of the difference.

Ahh, but the RDTCGC (reactive drillbit torque conversion gear clutch) will
wear faster due to the variance in voltage!
;-)

Shoot! I've got to go now, I mistakenly put a 6V bulb in my 2-D cell battery
flashlight then left it on and it's melting all over the table now........