Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting down post-formed countertop

I need to cut a prefabbed 6 ft. post-formed laminate countertop with
integral backsplash down to 5 ft.

What tool and techniques will result in least chipping of the laminate and
give the straightest edge?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 19:45:05 GMT, Al Tsiemers
wrote:

I need to cut a prefabbed 6 ft. post-formed laminate countertop with
integral backsplash down to 5 ft.

What tool and techniques will result in least chipping of the laminate and
give the straightest edge?

I made an L shaped saw guide out of two pieces of 1x4 and clamped it
to the bottom and back of the backsplash (opposite side from the
laminate).

Then I used a portable circular saw with a 40 tooth carbide blade to
first cut the backsplash (running the edge of the saw base against the
guide) and then the main part.

I first cut it 1/8 oversize and then moved the guide and trimmed the
1/8. Came out nice and clean.

Cutting it a little oversize allows you to get the hang of it and also
eliminates the pull of the big offcut when you are doing the final
cut. Make sure you support the offcut on the first pass so its weight
doesn't tear out a chunk at the end.

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Tsiemers wrote:
I need to cut a prefabbed 6 ft. post-formed laminate countertop with
integral backsplash down to 5 ft.

What tool and techniques will result in least chipping of the
laminate and give the straightest edge?

Plan on finishing the cut with a router to get the smoothest edge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul Franklin" wrote in message
| On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 19:45:05 GMT, Al Tsiemers
| wrote:
|
| I need to cut a prefabbed 6 ft. post-formed laminate countertop with
| integral backsplash down to 5 ft.
|
| What tool and techniques will result in least chipping of the
laminate and
| give the straightest edge?
|
| I made an L shaped saw guide out of two pieces of 1x4 and clamped it
| to the bottom and back of the backsplash (opposite side from the
| laminate).
|
| Then I used a portable circular saw with a 40 tooth carbide blade to
| first cut the backsplash (running the edge of the saw base against the
| guide) and then the main part.
|
| I first cut it 1/8 oversize and then moved the guide and trimmed the
| 1/8. Came out nice and clean.
|
| Cutting it a little oversize allows you to get the hang of it and also
| eliminates the pull of the big offcut when you are doing the final
| cut. Make sure you support the offcut on the first pass so its weight
| doesn't tear out a chunk at the end.
|
| HTH,
|
| Paul F.

Great advice Paul
I would only add to finish the edge with a belt sander (holding the
sander vertical with the laminate top face up)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
| Al Tsiemers wrote:
| I need to cut a prefabbed 6 ft. post-formed laminate countertop with
| integral backsplash down to 5 ft.
|
| What tool and techniques will result in least chipping of the
| laminate and give the straightest edge?
|
| Plan on finishing the cut with a router to get the smoothest edge.

dumb advice
you can NOT get a router into the backsplash cove.
obviously you have never done this before.
sooooooooo...........shut the f-up.

I agree with Paul's advice
that was good advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cabinets Galore wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

| Plan on finishing the cut with a router to get the smoothest edge.

dumb advice
you can NOT get a router into the backsplash cove.
obviously you have never done this before.
sooooooooo...........shut the f-up.

Umm...given that you are cutting with a circ saw from the back...why
can't you use the router from the back as well?

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Friesen wrote in news:12tjmopn6hj4o12
@corp.supernews.com:

Cabinets Galore wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

| Plan on finishing the cut with a router to get the smoothest edge.

dumb advice
you can NOT get a router into the backsplash cove.
obviously you have never done this before.
sooooooooo...........shut the f-up.

Umm...given that you are cutting with a circ saw from the back...why
can't you use the router from the back as well?

Chris

The problem with that is that neither the front lip, nor the integral
backsplash are flat on the backside. A router would hang up trying to get
over the lips. And to make things worse, they aren't going to be 90 degree
cuts, front to back. It needs to be .25 narrower in back, so nothing will
be cut square to the front edge.