Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

Default suggestions on cutting flutes on a corner post?

Hi,

I am making a chest on chest that somewhat follows the version Norm
made on the NYW. My "customized plans" call for corner posts with
fluted columns, where the flutes are cut on the corner of the post, on
a 45 degree angle.

Norm, of course, had the perfect tool for this; something called an
overhead router (looks like a router mounted like a radial arm saw).
I don't have the luxury of such a tool, so I'm trying to come up with
a reasonable jig that will hold the piece well enough to either do
these on my router table, or allow me to hold the router and cut
them. The ultimate goal being not to ruin 4 pieces of 2" x 2" cherry,
that already have the lambs tongue details cut in them.

The only thing I've been able to dream up are cutting a few 2 by 4s
pieces at a 45 degree angle, and then building those up enough to be
able to provide a nice flat surface to slide the router across. I
haven't come up with any reasonable ideas for the router table yet; at
least none that would allow me to drop the piece straight down in the
45 degree slot onto the bit (my sample pieces slid on it a little
sideways initially).

I checked a few woodworking books for some hints, but haven't found
anything yet. I'm assuming someone has figured this out, because
fluted corner posts seem pretty popular on many cases.

Any suggestions

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Feb 2007 16:51:52 -0800, "Tom"
wrote:

[...]

If I'm understanding what you're looking for correctly, google "Router
Crafter", which is something that Sears used to sell and that you can
sometimes find on ebay. There was a thread on rec.woodworking a few
weeks ago on this that has some sources for alternatives--that search
on Google Groups restricted to the last 3 months and rec.woodworking
should hit it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom wrote:

Norm, of course, had the perfect tool for this; something called an
overhead router (looks like a router mounted like a radial arm saw).
I don't have the luxury of such a tool, so I'm trying to come up with
a reasonable jig that will hold the piece well enough to either do
these on my router table, or allow me to hold the router and cut
them.

That's why the Craftsman "router/crafter" was invented.

You may be able to find one someplace.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Perhaps a jig something like this...
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_723.shtml
--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom:
Shopnotes, Sept/Oct. 2006, vol.15, issue 89, has a pretty neat "Fluting Jig"
for palm router that might fit the bill. It's cheap enough and quick enough
to be filed for my "gotta build this" list. May have to be modified slightly
for your specific needs!

Bill
Plano
"Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

Plano"Tom" wrote in message

[...]

All,

Thanks for the ideas. I ended up with a jig roughly based on
Charlie's suggestion. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it will
provide the control and support that I didn't think I would get using
my router table.