Mastermech

Default Cutting Sink Hole in Granite Countertop?

I have a chance to get a granite top for the Bathroom at a good price, any
idea how much it might cost to cut the sink hole?

Thanks

G Henslee

Mastermech wrote:
I have a chance to get a granite top for the Bathroom at a good price, any
idea how much it might cost to cut the sink hole?

Thanks

Sink hole, or hole(S)? Try a call to a local top shop. Or, purchase a
diamond core bit and use it once.
Rudy

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Mastermech wrote:
I have a chance to get a granite top for the Bathroom at a good price,
any
idea how much it might cost to cut the sink hole?

They'd have to come out and cut it. If you do the prep ( say 3/4" ply
substrate) and draw the hole in the top from the sink template, you could
use a 4" angle grinder ( Chinese type..accurate enough for a sink cut out)
from Harbor Freight Tools or similar ~ $ 20-25 with a 4" diamond blade (~
$14) for under $ 40.00 total and you get to keep the tools. Thats the way
I'd go having had granite in our last two homes and having cut and ground it
with just such a set-up. Phone around and see what the pros will charge.

Sunflower

"Mastermech" wrote in message
I have a chance to get a granite top for the Bathroom at a good price, any
idea how much it might cost to cut the sink hole?

Thanks

Depends on if you want a drop in or an undermount sink. Most DIYers won't
be able to do a high enough quality job for a undermount. It takes lots of
skill and expensive tools to get the edge just right and polished just so
with the proper reveal for the sink. Most of the cost of granite
installation is in the labor to make it look right--for a reason. The
granite itself is the cheapest part. So, if you want this to look really
nice, then your bargain may not end up being as much of a bargain as you
thought. Only some questions at some local stone yards will let you know
exactly what someone might charge, and they might even do an upcharge
because they didn't provide the slab.