Posted to alt.home.repair
MB MB is offline

Default Dead circuits in house

I have 4 dead circuits in my House all on 1 wall 2 on top floor 2 on
bottom floor

I have rewired and put new outlets and tested continuity on all the 4
outlets. I noticed the line feeding the 4 outlets( the wires going to
the first of the 4 boutlets) is dead. All circuit breakers are on.
My questions is since these wires are in the walls , is there any way
to trace this wire back to the breaker panel and see if its brokenn
somewhere or at least any way to find the path of the wire? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It's likely there are more than just the four outlets on the circuit. If
indeed all the circuits are "live" at the panel, which needs to be tested by
removing the cover, it's likely that there is an open circuit at a still
live outlet preceding the dead ones, on the same circuit. Open and check all
live outlets in the vicinity of the dead ones, looking for loose
connections, especially in back stabbed connections

"MB" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 4 dead circuits in my House all on 1 wall 2 on top floor 2 on
bottom floor

I have rewired and put new outlets and tested continuity on all the 4
outlets. I noticed the line feeding the 4 outlets( the wires going to
the first of the 4 boutlets) is dead. All circuit breakers are on.
My questions is since these wires are in the walls , is there any way
to trace this wire back to the breaker panel and see if its brokenn
somewhere or at least any way to find the path of the wire? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

MB wrote:
I have 4 dead circuits in my House all on 1 wall 2 on top floor 2 on
bottom floor

I have rewired and put new outlets and tested continuity on all the 4
outlets. I noticed the line feeding the 4 outlets( the wires going to
the first of the 4 boutlets) is dead. All circuit breakers are on.
My questions is since these wires are in the walls , is there any way
to trace this wire back to the breaker panel and see if its brokenn
somewhere or at least any way to find the path of the wire? Thanks

The chances of a broken connection inside a wall are vanishingly small.

You might be able to use one of those signal injection gizmos and run the
detector over the wall to trace the wiring back to the next receptacle in
the chain - which is where the disconnect will be.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 12, 8:53 pm, "MB" wrote:
I have 4 dead circuits in my House all on 1 wall 2 on top floor 2 on
bottom floor

I have rewired and put new outlets and tested continuity on all the 4
outlets. I noticed the line feeding the 4 outlets( the wires going to
the first of the 4 boutlets) is dead. All circuit breakers are on.
My questions is since these wires are in the walls , is there any way
to trace this wire back to the breaker panel and see if its brokenn
somewhere or at least any way to find the path of the wire? Thanks

Any GFCI's upstream of this string? Or el cheapo backstabber outlets?

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair
MB MB is offline

Thanks,

Yes the outlets were backstabbed, thats why I rewired correctly.
There is a GFI for the bathroom near this first outlet in the
series. The GFI outlet works fine. I will check, possibly it is
feeding off of there. If that doesnt work I guess I need to trace the
wire path?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 13, 3:09 pm, "MB" wrote:
Thanks,

Yes the outlets were backstabbed, thats why I rewired correctly.
There is a GFI for the bathroom near this first outlet in the
series. The GFI outlet works fine. I will check, possibly it is
feeding off of there. If that doesnt work I guess I need to trace the
wire path?

When you rewired your outlets, did you pigtail or use the outlet for
pass through? The generally preferred professional practice these days
is to pigtail. Reasons for this have been discussed thoroughly in
recent posts to this NG.
GFI...check the device for continuity from inputs to pass through
terminals. You could have a failure there but it is rare. HTH

Joe