Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

Default What is the norm on kitchen/rest of house outlets/circuits

Am getting ready to ask for a bid on my renovation.

I heard somewhere that now-days every plug in the kitchen as well as
every appliance has it's own circuit? Is this true?

The circuit breaker box will be replaced, and everything is wide open
right now, (all drywall removed) so it will be relatively easy to home
run all wires back to the box.. but is it necessary? Is it code now?

How about every outlet in Garage (again, very open now, easy to run)

What about basement"? (putting outlets in ceiling to run space heater,
dehumidfier, treadmill. All heavy draws, so it seems like putting all
on it's own circuit would be a good idea.)

What about bathrooms?

I just want to know what the "norm" (if there is such a thing) in
construction today, so I won't be a dweeb when talking to contractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

If your in the US, you need two 20 amp circuits for all outlets in the
kitchen, which is a minimum. All counter outlets must be GFCI protected. You
will need dedicated circuits for heavy loads like built in microwave,
refrigerator, etc. The garage will need one GFCI protected outlet, as will
any unfinished space in the basement. Any appliance like your treadmill that
would require more than 50% of the capacity of a circuit needs a dedicated
line

"Jack" wrote in message
ups.com...
Am getting ready to ask for a bid on my renovation.

I heard somewhere that now-days every plug in the kitchen as well as
every appliance has it's own circuit? Is this true?

The circuit breaker box will be replaced, and everything is wide open
right now, (all drywall removed) so it will be relatively easy to home
run all wires back to the box.. but is it necessary? Is it code now?

How about every outlet in Garage (again, very open now, easy to run)

What about basement"? (putting outlets in ceiling to run space heater,
dehumidfier, treadmill. All heavy draws, so it seems like putting all
on it's own circuit would be a good idea.)

What about bathrooms?

I just want to know what the "norm" (if there is such a thing) in
construction today, so I won't be a dweeb when talking to contractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Oh, your bathroom can be wired a couple of ways, but will either require a
20 amp GFCI outlet, and the lights can be on a general lighting circuit, or
a dedicated 20 amp GFCI outlet, and the lights can be on the same circuit as
the outlet

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
If your in the US, you need two 20 amp circuits for all outlets in the
kitchen, which is a minimum. All counter outlets must be GFCI protected.
You will need dedicated circuits for heavy loads like built in microwave,
refrigerator, etc. The garage will need one GFCI protected outlet, as will
any unfinished space in the basement. Any appliance like your treadmill
that would require more than 50% of the capacity of a circuit needs a
dedicated line

"Jack" wrote in message
ups.com...
Am getting ready to ask for a bid on my renovation.

I heard somewhere that now-days every plug in the kitchen as well as
every appliance has it's own circuit? Is this true?

The circuit breaker box will be replaced, and everything is wide open
right now, (all drywall removed) so it will be relatively easy to home
run all wires back to the box.. but is it necessary? Is it code now?

How about every outlet in Garage (again, very open now, easy to run)

What about basement"? (putting outlets in ceiling to run space heater,
dehumidfier, treadmill. All heavy draws, so it seems like putting all
on it's own circuit would be a good idea.)

What about bathrooms?

I just want to know what the "norm" (if there is such a thing) in
construction today, so I won't be a dweeb when talking to contractor.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homewiringusa/2002/
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical-wiring/part1/