Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default carbon monoxide alarm

Hey folks,

I just finished talking with a co worker who is recovering from a carbon
monoxide scare. she had been sick for the past while and found out recently
when they checked out her basement and found CO at 700 ppm. She had been
sleeping with the door and window closed and it was making her perpetually
ill. Here's the scary part, she said she had these 1/2 smoke 1/2 CO
alarms in her house. even though the basement was at 700 ppm. (which
according to the specs on my kidde alarm should make it sound in 4 minutes)
none of her alarms sounded. ( I don't know what brand she had)

This made me question my own alarm. I tested it, and it seems to function
correctly.
however, I'm not sure where it should be placed. Reading online some say
that the detectors should be placed on the ceiling, because the CO is mixed
in with the warm furnace air that rises. However, the person who checked
out my co workers house said that the CO generally falls, and so the
detectors should be lower to the ground.

what do you all think?

This is the alarm I have
http://www.kidde.com/utcfs/ws-384/As...O5%20sheet.pdf

Dave

Carbon Monoxide Detectors [email protected] UK diy 3 October 23rd 06 08:16 PM
carbon monoxide detectors? ap Home Ownership 2 October 6th 06 01:04 PM
Carbon Monoxide poisoning ? Colin Wilson UK diy 48 August 19th 06 12:20 PM
Carbon monoxide Dee UK diy 5 October 5th 05 05:01 PM
Carbon Monoxide Detector F UK diy 18 February 4th 05 01:59 PM