Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default carbon monoxide alarm

Zephyr wrote:
Hey folks,

I just finished talking with a co worker who is recovering from a
carbon monoxide scare. she had been sick for the past while and
found out recently when they checked out her basement and found CO at
700 ppm. She had been sleeping with the door and window closed and
it was making her perpetually ill. Here's the scary part, she said
she had these 1/2 smoke 1/2 CO alarms in her house. even though the
basement was at 700 ppm. (which according to the specs on my kidde
alarm should make it sound in 4 minutes) none of her alarms sounded. ( I
don't know what brand she had)
This made me question my own alarm. I tested it, and it seems to
function correctly.
however, I'm not sure where it should be placed. Reading online
some say that the detectors should be placed on the ceiling, because
the CO is mixed in with the warm furnace air that rises. However, the
person who checked out my co workers house said that the CO
generally falls, and so the detectors should be lower to the ground.

what do you all think?

This is the alarm I have
http://www.kidde.com/utcfs/ws-384/As...O5%20sheet.pdf

I think:
1. I'd like to know the brand and model of the detectors that failed your
friend.
2. I'd like to know if she's suing the manufacturer and everybody he ever
knew.
3. I'd like to know how you tested yours.

As to your specific question:

There was a long discussion on this very topic sometime back. One group was
adamant for an elevated position, another was equally adamant for a lower
location.

The discussion died out as one of the groups died out. I forget which.

For the ultimate in peace of mind, get two.