Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ap ap is offline

Default carbon monoxide detectors?

Hello,
we need to start putting these detectors in our 2-story house.
We have an old detector (that is about 10 years old).
Should replacing the battery do here?

And do you typically put one detector on each floor?

The gas furnaces are above the second floor in the attic.

Thanks for any info!

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"ap" writes:

Hello,
we need to start putting these detectors in our 2-story house.
We have an old detector (that is about 10 years old).
Should replacing the battery do here?

And do you typically put one detector on each floor?

The gas furnaces are above the second floor in the attic.

Thanks for any info!

You want CO detectors at head level in sleeping areas. 10yrs old
yeah, they should be replaced. What you want to sense is CO in the
living area, indicating issues with duct air getting contaminated with
combusion byproducts. Putting it where the furnace is doesn't
really help much, and is prone to contaminating the sensor and
creating false alarms.

Fire departments, home inspectors and hvac guys that I talk to all
seem to agree that the plug in Kiddie Nighthawk models with the
display are the ones to have.

I had a battery powered first alert combo detector that false alarmed
on me afte ra few years. The Fire Dept that came out said they get
called on those all the time and they are very prone to falsing.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

ap wrote:
Hello,
we need to start putting these detectors in our 2-story house.
We have an old detector (that is about 10 years old).
Should replacing the battery do here?

And do you typically put one detector on each floor?

The gas furnaces are above the second floor in the attic.

Thanks for any info!

I wouldn't depend on one that's ten years old...and yeah...put one each
floor.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning Vass UK diy 17 January 19th 06 11:21 AM
Question on Carbon Monoxide gas Roy Metalworking 39 January 9th 06 02:55 PM
Are electric oil-filled radiator heaters a carbon monoxide risk? [email protected] Home Repair 23 December 30th 05 01:41 PM
Carbon monoxide detectors chemqueries Home Repair 24 March 25th 05 02:09 AM