Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer not drying

All of a sudden, my Kirkwood (made by Whirlpool) dryer isnt drying. It runs but there is no heat.
Any ideas what causes this? Is their a heating element that can be repaired?

Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
news
All of a sudden, my Kirkwood (made by Whirlpool) dryer isnt drying. It
runs but there is no heat.
Any ideas what causes this? Is their a heating element that can be
repaired?

Tony

It may be the element, but it can be some other problem. You can get some
diagnostic help at www.applianceaid.com and www.repairclinic.com It would
help to diagnose if you have a VOM also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
All of a sudden, my Kirkwood (made by Whirlpool) dryer isnt drying.
It runs but there is no heat. Any ideas what causes this? Is their a
heating element that can be repaired?

Tony

Electric or gas?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make sure the vent pipe is completely clear, first. By the way, how old is
it? Also, if it's electric, flip the breaker off/on and try it again (after
checking the vent).

PoD

"Tony" wrote in message
news
All of a sudden, my Kirkwood (made by Whirlpool) dryer isnt drying. It
runs but there is no heat.
Any ideas what causes this? Is their a heating element that can be
repaired?

Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 5, 9:29 am, "Paul of Dayton"
wrote:
Make sure the vent pipe is completely clear, first. By the way, how old is
it? Also, if it's electric, flip the breaker off/on and try it again (after
checking the vent).

PoD

"Tony" wrote in message

news

All of a sudden, my Kirkwood (made by Whirlpool) dryer isnt drying. It
runs but there is no heat.
Any ideas what causes this? Is their a heating element that can be
repaired?

Tony- Hide quoted text -

Is it gas or electric. In either case there are a number of things (at
least four or five) that could be the cause.
If you have to ask such a general question I respectfully suggest you
are jumping to conclusions (about a heating element for example) and/
or lack practical knowledge? That can lead to unecessary cost when it
'might' be something very simple (and fairly cheap) indeed?
Recently somebody told about the cost of themselves changing an oven
element; now their oven doesn't heat properly at all. Obviuosly it was/
is something else! Most likely not the rather expensive oven element
at all! Or the owner miswired something?
BTW: Many electric dryers use 230 volts so be careful!

Posted to alt.home.repair
jst jst is offline

Tony wrote:
All of a sudden, my Kirkwood (made by Whirlpool) dryer isnt drying. It runs but there is no heat.
Any ideas what causes this? Is their a heating element that can be repaired?

Tony

This is a long shot but.... Our dryer has a wetness/dry sensor. The
dryer quit drying and when the repair guy came out the first thing he
checked was the sensor in the dryer. He took some rubbing alcohol and
cleaned the sensor and the dryer worked fine. Like I said it's a long
shot but you never know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 06:59:06 -0500, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Tony wrote:
All of a sudden, my Kirkwood (made by Whirlpool) dryer isnt drying.
It runs but there is no heat. Any ideas what causes this? Is their a
heating element that can be repaired?

Tony

Electric or gas?

Sorry for not clarifying. It is electric.

Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 07:29:13 -0500, "Paul of Dayton" wrote:

Make sure the vent pipe is completely clear, first. By the way, how old is
it? Also, if it's electric, flip the breaker off/on and try it again (after
checking the vent).

PoD

The pipe looks clear. Not sure of the age because I bought the house 2 years ago, but I have a
feeling the last owners bought it and they moved in in 2002.. So it is probably almost 5 yrs old.

I did flip the 2 circuit breakers after I read something on the net that said to do that. No good.

Tony

"Tony" wrote in message
news
All of a sudden, my Kirkwood (made by Whirlpool) dryer isnt drying. It
runs but there is no heat.
Any ideas what causes this? Is their a heating element that can be
repaired?

Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is it gas or electric. In either case there are a number of things (at
least four or five) that could be the cause.
If you have to ask such a general question I respectfully suggest you
are jumping to conclusions (about a heating element for example) and/
or lack practical knowledge? That can lead to unecessary cost when it
'might' be something very simple (and fairly cheap) indeed?
Recently somebody told about the cost of themselves changing an oven
element; now their oven doesn't heat properly at all. Obviuosly it was/
is something else! Most likely not the rather expensive oven element
at all! Or the owner miswired something?
BTW: Many electric dryers use 230 volts so be careful!

Thanks for your response. I am very good at troubleshooting. I own a computer repair shop and do it
every day. I work out of a tv\repair shop so I am around electronics all day. I am asking here
because I never opened a dryer before. I also never touched electricity in a house until recently
when a friend showed me how to wire new outlets and lights. Also, when I heard a crackling sound in
my circuit panel whenever my boiler turned on, he talked me through how to open the panel and
replace the circuit.

So, as inexperienced as I am at some things,. I am able to do most things when someone tells me what
to do. I never opened a dryer but I know that power is getting to it and it may be a heating
element or something else. I know how to use a volt meter. I just wanted to be nudged in the right
direction.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Tony wrote:
All of a sudden, my Kirkwood (made by Whirlpool) dryer isnt drying.
It runs but there is no heat. Any ideas what causes this? Is their a
heating element that can be repaired?

Tony

Electric or gas?

Sorry for not clarifying. It is electric.

Tony

OK here are a few things to check. If you are careful and know your way
around 220V current, you can use a meter to check to see how far the power
is getting. If it is getting to the heaters, then they or it is bad. If it
is not getting there, then the relay or the relay is not getting a signal to
go on. That signal is dependent on several sensors including over heating
(in the exhaust) dryer temp and maybe dampness.

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 22:42:44 -0500, Tony
wrote:

All of a sudden, my Kirkwood (made by Whirlpool) dryer isnt drying. It runs but there is no heat.
Any ideas what causes this? Is their a heating element that can be repaired?

Tony

Element? Is this electric?

Just checking....

tom
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 09:47:35 -0600, jst wrote:

Tony wrote:
All of a sudden, my Kirkwood (made by Whirlpool) dryer isnt drying. It runs but there is no heat.
Any ideas what causes this? Is their a heating element that can be repaired?

Tony

This is a long shot but.... Our dryer has a wetness/dry sensor. The
dryer quit drying and when the repair guy came out the first thing he
checked was the sensor in the dryer. He took some rubbing alcohol and
cleaned the sensor and the dryer worked fine. Like I said it's a long
shot but you never know.

You were right on the money. I opened the back of the dryer and checked the element for continuity,
which it had. I took the small sensor to my job after I saw there was no continuity and no voltage
reading. The chinese technician took it and threw it on the floor once, then again until he heard
something inside shaking. He looked at me and said "works". I went home, and sure enough, it worked.
So, the sensor didnt even go bad. It just buckled on the inside (convex to concave?) and had to be
loosened. Total cost of repair----- $0. I almost bought another dryer too. Good thing I know some
knowledgeable people.

Tony