Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ideas on Changing a Light Fixture in a Tall Foyer?

Ok, i need to change out a chandelier in a 2 story foyer. I have a 20
foot and a 32 foot extension ladder, but the foyer is too wide to reach
the middle where the fixture is attached to the ceiling with the ladders
leaning on the side walls.
Any ideas on how to safely reach the middle of the foyer to change out
the fixture?
Thanks in advance. jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You may be able to stretch a plank between the two ladders, but if it's to
dangerous, rental stores have 16 foot A frame ladders, or scaffold

"jim wheeler" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Ok, i need to change out a chandelier in a 2 story foyer. I have a 20
foot and a 32 foot extension ladder, but the foyer is too wide to reach
the middle where the fixture is attached to the ceiling with the ladders
leaning on the side walls.
Any ideas on how to safely reach the middle of the foyer to change out the
fixture?
Thanks in advance. jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

jim wheeler wrote:
Ok, i need to change out a chandelier in a 2 story foyer. I have a 20
foot and a 32 foot extension ladder, but the foyer is too wide to
reach the middle where the fixture is attached to the ceiling with the
ladders leaning on the side walls.
Any ideas on how to safely reach the middle of the foyer to change out
the fixture?
Thanks in advance. jim

The usual procedure for a chandelier of this height is to install it so
that it can be lowered to a height where bulbs/candles can be changed.
Yes, the procedure is the same as when candles were the chandeliers main
illumination source.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

jim wheeler wrote:
Ok, i need to change out a chandelier in a 2 story foyer. I have a 20
foot and a 32 foot extension ladder, but the foyer is too wide to
reach the middle where the fixture is attached to the ceiling with
the ladders leaning on the side walls.
Any ideas on how to safely reach the middle of the foyer to change out
the fixture?
Thanks in advance. jim

If you only need to change the chandelier and not the chain above it, an
extra tall step ladder will do. However if you need to get to the top, you
really should get scaffolding.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

jim wheeler wrote:

Ok, i need to change out a chandelier in a 2 story foyer. I have a 20
foot and a 32 foot extension ladder, but the foyer is too wide to reach
the middle where the fixture is attached to the ceiling with the ladders
leaning on the side walls.
Any ideas on how to safely reach the middle of the foyer to change out
the fixture?
Thanks in advance. jim

Scaffolding. For something bulky like a chandelier big enough to not
look out of place in a two story space, scaffolding is really the only
safe way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

jim wheeler wrote:
Ok, i need to change out a chandelier in a 2 story foyer...
Any ideas on how to safely reach the middle of the foyer to change out
the fixture?

If there is a second floor landing that looks out onto the foyer
AND only the chandelier (not the chain) is to be replaced
AND the chain is long enough
you can use a long pole with a hook on the end to pull the hanging
chandelier to the second floor landing to do whatever is necessary
without need for a ladder. Just be careful when dropping the chandelier
back down so it doesn't smash into the opposite wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 7:13 pm, jim wheeler wrote:
Ok, i need to change out a chandelier in a 2 story foyer. I have a 20
foot and a 32 foot extension ladder, but the foyer is too wide to reach
the middle where the fixture is attached to the ceiling with the ladders
leaning on the side walls.
Any ideas on how to safely reach the middle of the foyer to change out
the fixture?
Thanks in advance. jim

If its a one time job you may be able to rent a scissor lift
(manlift) . They are hugely heavy though so getting one inside may be
an issue.

Otherwise scaffolding is the way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jim wheeler wrote:
Ok, i need to change out a chandelier in a 2 story foyer. I have a 20
foot and a 32 foot extension ladder, but the foyer is too wide to
reach the middle where the fixture is attached to the ceiling with
the ladders leaning on the side walls.
Any ideas on how to safely reach the middle of the foyer to change out
the fixture?
Thanks in advance. jim

Go rent a 12 or 14' stepladder, if it is tall enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 01:13:41 GMT, jim wheeler
wrote:

Ok, i need to change out a chandelier in a 2 story foyer. I have a 20
foot and a 32 foot extension ladder, but the foyer is too wide to reach
the middle where the fixture is attached to the ceiling with the ladders
leaning on the side walls.
Any ideas on how to safely reach the middle of the foyer to change out
the fixture?
Thanks in advance. jim

Shove one ladder through the windows, or whatever available openings
there are on the second floor. Brace or tie it in place,
and lean the other ladder against that. Didn't you ask this
question a week ago?
Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks to all for ideas. I was thinking i might have to rent a tall
a-frame or scaffold, but this suggestion is a good one to use my
existing equipment.

no, this is the first time i have put this issue out to the group.

Thanks again to all - jim

wrote:

Ok, i need to change out a chandelier in a 2 story foyer. I have a 20
foot and a 32 foot extension ladder, but the foyer is too wide to reach
the middle where the fixture is attached to the ceiling with the ladders
leaning on the side walls.
Any ideas on how to safely reach the middle of the foyer to change out
the fixture?
Thanks in advance. jim

Shove one ladder through the windows, or whatever available openings
there are on the second floor. Brace or tie it in place,
and lean the other ladder against that. Didn't you ask this
question a week ago?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any ideas on how to safely reach the middle of the foyer to change out
the fixture?

Quick hands and a trampoline?

Maintaining Light Fixture in 2-Story Foyer Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Home Repair 5 January 29th 07 04:21 PM
Light Fixture Corinne Home Repair 9 November 10th 05 05:02 AM
Scaffolds, ladders, painting a tall foyer Perry Templeton Home Repair 11 October 12th 05 01:33 PM
fitting an outside light - problem getting the power cable to light, any ideas? Kam_UK UK diy 1 November 24th 04 04:33 PM
Light Fixture Will No barry martin Home Repair 3 February 23rd 04 10:17 PM