Perry Templeton

Default Scaffolds, ladders, painting a tall foyer

I am scheduled to begin painting a foyer. It is 18' tall. It is a narrow
room. On one side there is a stairway going up to the second floor. On the
wall without the stairway, I can use two sets of scaffolds (stacked) and get
access. On the stairway side, I am still trying to figure out something. I
have extension ladders, tall ladders, scaffolds (the skinny bakers racks and
the standard sizes) a folding ladder that you see advertised on tv. But I'm
stumped on the stairway wall. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks.
Perry

Amun

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
I am scheduled to begin painting a foyer. It is 18' tall. It is a narrow
room. On one side there is a stairway going up to the second floor. On

the
wall without the stairway, I can use two sets of scaffolds (stacked) and

get
access. On the stairway side, I am still trying to figure out something.

have extension ladders, tall ladders, scaffolds (the skinny bakers racks

and
the standard sizes) a folding ladder that you see advertised on tv. But

I'm
stumped on the stairway wall. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks.
Perry

Broom handle on a roller ?

AMUN

Duane Bozarth

Perry Templeton wrote:

...But I'm stumped on the stairway wall. Any ideas appreciated.

Not sure of orientation but why can't put the ladder on the stairs
(tying off the bottom to make sure it doesn't slip) and work from top
down?
DanG

Look into renting a "pick board". You would build a scaffold at
the bottom of the stair tall enough to access the ceiling. Build
a corresponding scaffold at the top of the stair. Span the pick
board between them. Here is an example:
http://www.biljax.com/Products/Described/Product29.aspx

If they are available, get 2 so you have a larger deck to work
from.

I need to point out that this will not make an OSHA approved
assembly with regard to toe board/ guard rail/ fall protection.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
I am scheduled to begin painting a foyer. It is 18' tall. It is
a narrow room. On one side there is a stairway going up to the
second floor. On the wall without the stairway, I can use two
sets of scaffolds (stacked) and get access. On the stairway
side, I am still trying to figure out something. I have
extension ladders, tall ladders, scaffolds (the skinny bakers
racks and the standard sizes) a folding ladder that you see
advertised on tv. But I'm stumped on the stairway wall. Any
ideas appreciated.
Thanks.
Perry

RicodJour

Perry Templeton wrote:
I am scheduled to begin painting a foyer. It is 18' tall. It is a narrow
room. On one side there is a stairway going up to the second floor. On the
wall without the stairway, I can use two sets of scaffolds (stacked) and get
access. On the stairway side, I am still trying to figure out something. I
have extension ladders, tall ladders, scaffolds (the skinny bakers racks and
the standard sizes) a folding ladder that you see advertised on tv. But I'm
stumped on the stairway wall. Any ideas appreciated.

I have a 22' Little Giant ladder. It makes things such as what you're
doing trivial and is far easier than setting up scaffolding.

keith

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 09:47:08 -0400, Amun wrote:

"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
I am scheduled to begin painting a foyer. It is 18' tall. It is a narrow
room. On one side there is a stairway going up to the second floor. On

the
wall without the stairway, I can use two sets of scaffolds (stacked) and

get
access. On the stairway side, I am still trying to figure out something.

have extension ladders, tall ladders, scaffolds (the skinny bakers racks

and
the standard sizes) a folding ladder that you see advertised on tv. But

I'm
stumped on the stairway wall. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks.
Perry

Broom handle on a roller ?

Don't go so cheap! Buy a decent (read; professional) roller extension. I
have three of 'em, 18"-3', 3-6', and 5-10'. A busted brrom handle in the
middle of a job sucks! It's also easier to paint with en extension (two
hands at waste/chest level is much easier than one overhead).

--
Keith
Perry Templeton

I will certainly use extensions on the roller to get as much reach as I can.
It's the cutting in that will require getting up close.
Also I have one of those Little Giant Ladders, too. Just thought maybe
someone has some wizbang idea for me.
Perry
"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Perry Templeton wrote:
I am scheduled to begin painting a foyer. It is 18' tall. It is a
narrow
room. On one side there is a stairway going up to the second floor. On
the
wall without the stairway, I can use two sets of scaffolds (stacked) and
get
access. On the stairway side, I am still trying to figure out something.
have extension ladders, tall ladders, scaffolds (the skinny bakers racks
and
the standard sizes) a folding ladder that you see advertised on tv. But
I'm
stumped on the stairway wall. Any ideas appreciated.

I have a 22' Little Giant ladder. It makes things such as what you're
doing trivial and is far easier than setting up scaffolding.

You said you have scaffolds. Why can't you use a scaffold?

RicodJour

Perry Templeton wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
Perry Templeton wrote:
[...]

Okay, now I'm lost. You already have a ladder that deals easily with
stairwells, so why are you looking for an alternative?

William Brown

Some suggest an extension ladder with one leg that can be shortened and
lengthened. You adjust it so one leg is on one step, and the other leg
on the next lower step. I've never been able to bring myself to trust
one of them, but I know people do use them.

My suggestion would be go get hold of an extension plank; one end goes
on a step, the other goes to a hanger on a ladder, or to your
scaffolding, since you already have that. You walk the plank and paint
with ease. You may have seen exterior painters using these with two
ladders.

If this is a narrow room, have fun trying to swing the extension on a
roller. I think it would be easier to use the extension plank and a
roller with no, or minimal, extension.

Perry Templeton wrote:
I am scheduled to begin painting a foyer. It is 18' tall. It is a narrow
room. On one side there is a stairway going up to the second floor. On the
wall without the stairway, I can use two sets of scaffolds (stacked) and get
access. On the stairway side, I am still trying to figure out something. I
have extension ladders, tall ladders, scaffolds (the skinny bakers racks and
the standard sizes) a folding ladder that you see advertised on tv. But I'm
stumped on the stairway wall. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks.
Perry

FACE

****
You walk the plank and paint
with ease.
You may have seen exterior painters using these with two
ladders.

****

I have seen this referred to (perhaps here) as a "pick walk". Unless
that was a typo I am very interested in how it got such a name.

I am painting my house and was tempted to do this between two six foot
step ladders for the lower part of the second story of a split level,
but decided it was too dangerous and have scaled the collapsed
extension ladder repeatedly getting about 3 feet left and 3 feet right
then repeat..... :-)

I could not imagine an unsupported walk board of 2 x 12 being much
over 4 feet between the ladders and that it would considerably bow
even at that length with me in the middle. (I am about 170lbs) What
kind of board do you use?

FACE

Perry Templeton wrote:
I am scheduled to begin painting a foyer. It is 18' tall. It is a narrow
room. On one side there is a stairway going up to the second floor. On the
wall without the stairway, I can use two sets of scaffolds (stacked) and get
access. On the stairway side, I am still trying to figure out something. I
have extension ladders, tall ladders, scaffolds (the skinny bakers racks and
the standard sizes) a folding ladder that you see advertised on tv. But I'm
stumped on the stairway wall. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks.
Perry

RicodJour

FACE wrote:

I have seen this referred to (perhaps here) as a "pick walk". Unless
that was a typo I am very interested in how it got such a name.

I have heard them referred to as a pickboard, but I just call them a
plank.

I am painting my house and was tempted to do this between two six foot
step ladders for the lower part of the second story of a split level,
but decided it was too dangerous and have scaled the collapsed
extension ladder repeatedly getting about 3 feet left and 3 feet right
then repeat..... :-)

Well, looking on the bright side, it's good exercise going up and down
ladders all day.

I could not imagine an unsupported walk board of 2 x 12 being much
over 4 feet between the ladders and that it would considerably bow
even at that length with me in the middle. (I am about 170lbs) What
kind of board do you use?

6-8' feet between supports is not unusual, but that depends on the
quality of the wood and what condition it is in. If you have more than
a little bit to do, one of those aluminum telescoping planks is a good
thing to have. The one I saw recently at HD expands from 8-13' and is
rated for 250 pounds. They're about $125, give or take, stiffer than a
2x and easier to move around.