Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower

Default Which Insulation do I use for Open Basement Ceiling Overhead Subflloring, Flooring

Hi, I want to insulate the ceilimg in the basement of my house. The
ceilings are about 7' high or a little lower.
It consist of exposed rafters 10" high 2" thick and spaced 12" apart above
that is wood subflooring the finished flooring.
This summer I'll be installing some wiring below the floor so whatever I
install now I'll have to remove some of it for the wiring installation this
summer.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi, I want to insulate the ceilimg in the basement of my house. The
ceilings are about 7' high or a little lower.
It consist of exposed rafters 10" high 2" thick and spaced 12" apart above
that is wood subflooring the finished flooring.
This summer I'll be installing some wiring below the floor so whatever I
install now I'll have to remove some of it for the wiring installation
this summer.

Thanks,

Mike

I neglected to state I live in the mid atlantic region, Baltimore, and there
is no furnace in the basement only a gas fired water heater for a heat
source. Earlier today the temp was 48 degrees in the basement. It's got
electric baseboard heat
but I only use it when the outside temp is below 20 degreee F for extended
periods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 6:22 pm, "Mike" wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

Hi, I want to insulate the ceilimg in the basement of my house. The
ceilings are about 7' high or a little lower.
It consist of exposed rafters 10" high 2" thick and spaced 12" apart above
that is wood subflooring the finished flooring.
This summer I'll be installing some wiring below the floor so whatever I
install now I'll have to remove some of it for the wiring installation
this summer.

Thanks,

Mike

I neglected to state I live in the mid atlantic region, Baltimore, and there
is no furnace in the basement only a gas fired water heater for a heat
source. Earlier today the temp was 48 degrees in the basement. It's got
electric baseboard heat
but I only use it when the outside temp is below 20 degreee F for extended
periods.

Typically, if you will be heating all the spaces in your house there
is no reason to insulate between heated spaces.

Unless, of course, you want to have a different heating/cooling zone
for each or if it is for sound proofing.

But if your joist are really 12 inches apart (that is a bit unusual
they are normally 16 inches apart) I suppose buying an R30 unfaced
fiberglass insulation for ceiling joist that are set 24 inches apart
and cut it in half long ways.

You should have little waste that way.

If you feel you don't need that much insulation you can save a ton of
money going with R19 or R13.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower

"Mike" wrote in message
I neglected to state I live in the mid atlantic region, Baltimore, and
there is no furnace in the basement only a gas fired water heater for a
heat source. Earlier today the temp was 48 degrees in the basement.
It's got electric baseboard heat
but I only use it when the outside temp is below 20 degreee F for extended
periods.

Insulate the walls, not the ceiling. The heat going up will stay in the
house until it reaches the second floor and some small loss to the walls.
The heat going out the walls is lost and expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
I neglected to state I live in the mid atlantic region, Baltimore,
and there is no furnace in the basement only a gas fired water
heater for a heat source. Earlier today the temp was 48 degrees in
the basement. It's got electric baseboard heat
but I only use it when the outside temp is below 20 degreee F for
extended periods.

Insulate the walls, not the ceiling. The heat going up will stay in
the house until it reaches the second floor and some small loss to
the walls. The heat going out the walls is lost and expensive.

I agree with Ed. Any heat lost is going towards heating your home.
However you can be loosing heat out the walls.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Mike" wrote in message
I neglected to state I live in the mid atlantic region, Baltimore, and
there is no furnace in the basement only a gas fired water heater for a
heat source. Earlier today the temp was 48 degrees in the basement.
It's got electric baseboard heat
but I only use it when the outside temp is below 20 degreee F for
extended periods.

Insulate the walls, not the ceiling. The heat going up will stay in the
house until it reaches the second floor and some small loss to the walls.
The heat going out the walls is lost and expensive.

The walls are pretty much insulated, I guess, they are cinder block about
one half of the basement is above ground.
I'm working on extra insulation for the windows. The problem is the
basement is unheated w/a gas water heater generating some heat. So cold
air - 48 degrees F today - is seeping into the living space on the first
floor. (the house has electric baseboard heat, including the basement but
I'm trying to conserve by insulating and looking at other heat sources)
Today the basement is 48 degrees F. Outside temp going to 14 degrees F this
evening.

Upstairs I'm covering the 20 y/o cheap replacement windows in plastic. I
installed a high quality "door sweeP on the inside of the door which is a
huge improvement.

'

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
I neglected to state I live in the mid atlantic region, Baltimore,
and there is no furnace in the basement only a gas fired water
heater for a heat source. Earlier today the temp was 48 degrees in
the basement. It's got electric baseboard heat
but I only use it when the outside temp is below 20 degreee F for
extended periods.

Insulate the walls, not the ceiling. The heat going up will stay in
the house until it reaches the second floor and some small loss to
the walls. The heat going out the walls is lost and expensive.

I agree with Ed. Any heat lost is going towards heating your home.
However you can be loosing heat out the walls.

I hear you but the baSEMent is unheated.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower

In article 8Stxh.64371$h75.9365@trnddc01, "Mike"
wrote:

Hi, I want to insulate the ceilimg in the basement of my house. The
ceilings are about 7' high or a little lower.
It consist of exposed rafters 10" high 2" thick and spaced 12" apart above
that is wood subflooring the finished flooring.
This summer I'll be installing some wiring below the floor so whatever I
install now I'll have to remove some of it for the wiring installation this
summer.

I might suggest cutting 2" sheet styrofoam to fit against the floor
between the rafters. It will not interfere with subsequent wiring and
will make the floor a lot warmer. The gaps in the styrofoam are
insulated with wood 2x10s.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower

wrote:
Hi, I want to insulate the ceilimg in the basement of my house. The
ceilings are about 7' high or a little lower.
It consist of exposed rafters 10" high 2" thick and spaced 12" apart above
that is wood subflooring the finished flooring.
This summer I'll be installing some wiring below the floor so whatever I
install now I'll have to remove some of it for the wiring installation this
summer.

I might suggest cutting 2" sheet styrofoam to fit against the floor
between the rafters. It will not interfere with subsequent wiring and
will make the floor a lot warmer. The gaps in the styrofoam are
insulated with wood 2x10s.

Check to see if code allows it.

Better to use a fire resistant material, like rock wool.

Joe Fischer

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower

Mike wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Insulate the walls, not the ceiling. The heat going up will stay in the
house until it reaches the second floor and some small loss to the walls.
The heat going out the walls is lost and expensive.

The walls are pretty much insulated, I guess, they are cinder block about
one half of the basement is above ground.

The cinder block foundation above gound is not insulated. By insulating
this, you better hold in the earth's natural heat of mid to upper 50's
degrees F (depending on location).

I'm working on extra insulation for the windows. The problem is the
basement is unheated w/a gas water heater generating some heat. So cold
air - 48 degrees F today - is seeping into the living space on the first
floor. (the house has electric baseboard heat, including the basement but
I'm trying to conserve by insulating and looking at other heat sources)
Today the basement is 48 degrees F. Outside temp going to 14 degrees F this
evening.

By insulating like I said above, the goal is to raise the basement
temperature above its current 48 F to closer to the upper 50's.

Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower

"Wayne Pein" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

[...]

I'll go to home depot and check out insulation for cinder block walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower

.. .
wrote:

Hi, I want to insulate the ceilimg in the basement of my house. The
ceilings are about 7' high or a little lower.
It consist of exposed rafters 10" high 2" thick and spaced 12" apart
above
that is wood subflooring the finished flooring.
This summer I'll be installing some wiring below the floor so whatever I
install now I'll have to remove some of it for the wiring installation
this
summer.

I might suggest cutting 2" sheet styrofoam to fit against the floor
between the rafters. It will not interfere with subsequent wiring and
will make the floor a lot warmer. The gaps in the styrofoam are
insulated with wood 2x10s.

Good idea. I wouldn't know how to deal w/ all of the fiberglass particles
floating around the basement from cutting up fiberglass insulation.