Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower
Wayne Pein Wayne Pein is offline

Default Which Insulation do I use for Open Basement Ceiling OverheadSubflloring, Flooring

Mike wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
Insulate the walls, not the ceiling. The heat going up will stay in the
house until it reaches the second floor and some small loss to the walls.
The heat going out the walls is lost and expensive.

The walls are pretty much insulated, I guess, they are cinder block about
one half of the basement is above ground.

The cinder block foundation above gound is not insulated. By insulating
this, you better hold in the earth's natural heat of mid to upper 50's
degrees F (depending on location).

I'm working on extra insulation for the windows. The problem is the
basement is unheated w/a gas water heater generating some heat. So cold
air - 48 degrees F today - is seeping into the living space on the first
floor. (the house has electric baseboard heat, including the basement but
I'm trying to conserve by insulating and looking at other heat sources)
Today the basement is 48 degrees F. Outside temp going to 14 degrees F this
evening.

By insulating like I said above, the goal is to raise the basement
temperature above its current 48 F to closer to the upper 50's.

Wayne