Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower
Mike Mike is offline

Default Which Insulation do I use for Open Basement Ceiling Overhead Subflloring, Flooring

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Mike" wrote in message
I neglected to state I live in the mid atlantic region, Baltimore, and
there is no furnace in the basement only a gas fired water heater for a
heat source. Earlier today the temp was 48 degrees in the basement.
It's got electric baseboard heat
but I only use it when the outside temp is below 20 degreee F for
extended periods.

Insulate the walls, not the ceiling. The heat going up will stay in the
house until it reaches the second floor and some small loss to the walls.
The heat going out the walls is lost and expensive.

The walls are pretty much insulated, I guess, they are cinder block about
one half of the basement is above ground.
I'm working on extra insulation for the windows. The problem is the
basement is unheated w/a gas water heater generating some heat. So cold
air - 48 degrees F today - is seeping into the living space on the first
floor. (the house has electric baseboard heat, including the basement but
I'm trying to conserve by insulating and looking at other heat sources)
Today the basement is 48 degrees F. Outside temp going to 14 degrees F this
evening.

Upstairs I'm covering the 20 y/o cheap replacement windows in plastic. I
installed a high quality "door sweeP on the inside of the door which is a
huge improvement.

'