Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insurance claims for a leaking main water line in the foundation of the house

Hello All,

Unfortunately a leak has developed in the main water line supply (in
the basement of the house). This leak has been diagnosed in the
section of the pipe that is embedded within the concrete foundation of
the house. The plumber has quoted me a pricey amount of close to four
thousand dollars to excavate the land and replace the entire length of
the pipe. Meanwhile due to the constant trickle of water the carpet
has been ruined. I am given to understand that the ruined carpet will
be covered under my insurance policy. However, the excavation and
replacing the damaged pipe might not be covered because the insurance
companies are not willing to pay for any settlement or age related
issues. Is this true? Is there any other way one can ask the insurance
companies to pay for this entire work?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

kb7270

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Meanwhile due to the constant trickle of water the carpet
has been ruined. I am given to understand that the ruined carpet will
be covered under my insurance policy. However, the excavation and
replacing the damaged pipe might not be covered because the insurance
companies are not willing to pay for any settlement or age related
issues. Is this true? Is there any other way one can ask the insurance
companies to pay for this entire work?

Rule of thumb, if water comes down from above, it is covered. If water comes
up from ground, it is not. Read your policy and check wiht your agent, but
this is a maintenance type of problem, not a disaster. Just as they won't
repaint your house because the sun is beating on it and causing paint to
weather and peel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 12:16 pm, " wrote:
[...]

I would get another couple of quotes , or find out if you can arrange
the excavation.

I recently had a trench dug for a new electric run to a shed.
Electrician quoted close to $2000 , a local excavator did it for $300.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Concrete attacks copper pipe, thats what killed the radiant heat
industry for many years in the US.

If the main is copper probably all but the part buried in concrete is
fine.

Dig up and replace just the area thats leaking! The balance of thje
line is probably like new!

Posted to alt.home.repair

check homeowners deductible and wether you have replacement insurance,
or depreciated coverage.....

do KNOW that a claim today may get you higher premiums for years

How old is the carpet?

your better off keeping insurance for major disasters and ignoring the
small; stuff, or your premiums may skyrocket

Posted to alt.home.repair

Let's be SMART about this...

Say the carpeting will cost $1000

Say you make an insurance claim to pay for the carpeting and they raise your
insurance rates $10 a month. That is $120 a year more or $2,400 more in
insurance payments for the next 20 years!

Your cost for the carpeting over 20 years is $2,400.

On the other hand, say you don't make a claim, and since you don't intend to
make small claims like this, you go to your insurance agent and get a higher
deductable on your insurance. Say $1,000 deductable.

Then they lower your insurance rates $10 a month. That is $120 a year less
or $2,400 less in insurance payments for the next 20 years!

Cost of carpet: $1,000.
Insurance savings: $2,400
You have saved: $1,400 over 20 years!