Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asphalt Shingles For New England House: Appropriate Weight Or Thickness Recommendations ?

Hello:

What would be your recommendation for the appropriate "weight" (or it
specified by thickness, or...?) for a 3-Tab
Asphalt shingle to be used for a residence re-shingling job in New England ?

Want to know what I should be discussing with contractors.

Any brands considered "best" these days ?
Or, any to stay away from ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

?

Want to know what I should be discussing with contractors.

Any brands considered "best" these days ?
Or, any to stay away from ?

Thanks,
B.

Bad roofer test: Ask if they think the cricket is sufficient. Watch the
guy's face carefully, and don't give him any hints, like mentioning the word
"chimney". If he gets a blank look on his face, give him a lollipop and send
him on his way. (See link below if YOU don't know what a cricket is).

If you have bathroom fans vented to the outside, and they're like mine (done
wrong, duct attached to normal roof vent using spit and wire), as for his
recommendations. Again, look for signs of mental collapse, and have lollipop
handy. There are special vents specifically for fan ducts. Two roofers I
spoke to couldn't describe them, or suggest ANYTHING on the subject.

http://www.hometips.com/articles/hom...y_cricket.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

What would be your recommendation for the appropriate "weight" (or it
specified by thickness, or...?) for a 3-Tab
Asphalt shingle to be used for a residence re-shingling job in New England
?

Want to know what I should be discussing with contractors.

Any brands considered "best" these days ?
Or, any to stay away from ?

Any of the major brands will be very good. I'd worry more about the
installer, less about the brand. Why 3 tab? The 3 tab are usually the
bottom of the line. Labor cost for installing a good shingle over a lower
cost one is about the same, so spend the money for a good 30 or 40 year
architectural from GAF, Certainteed, etc. You can check out their web pages
for more information.

Picking a roofer can be a daunting task. Word of mouth is often the best
way to find one. If there is a local guy that has been doing roofs in your
town for 25 years, he is probably a good bet. Slick full page ads in the
phone book mean nothing. Talk to the neighbors that have had theirs done
recently. .

If you are in the Rhode Island area, these guys did my warehouse, a $60,000
job. http://www.weismanroofing.com/ Fast, clean, professional.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 6:16 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello:

What would be your recommendation for the appropriate "weight" (or it
specified by thickness, or...?) for a 3-Tab
Asphalt shingle to be used for a residence re-shingling job in New England ?

Want to know what I should be discussing with contractors.

Any brands considered "best" these days ?
Or, any to stay away from ?

Thanks,
B.

I vote with Edwin. The additional cost of 30 or 40 years shingles
over 25 year is a small fraction of the total cost. Heavier is
better.

The achitecural style shingle also looks a whole lot better.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 3, 9:16 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello:

What would be your recommendation for the appropriate "weight" (or it
specified by thickness, or...?) for a 3-Tab
Asphalt shingle to be used for a residence re-shingling job in New England ?

Want to know what I should be discussing with contractors.

Any brands considered "best" these days ?
Or, any to stay away from ?

Thanks,
B.

Talk to your neighbors or if you have a small local hardware store ask
there, most people won't reccomend an idiot.
As for shingles 3 tab shingles are the minimum and the built up ones
are a lot nicer.
Elk Prestique is a good one so are GAF Timberline ultras.
The package will tell you the weight per square.

As for crickets? In New England very few chimneys exit below the peak
of the rook and a cricket is not required. The space would just fill
up with snow and ice.