Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asphalt Shingles For New England House: Appropriate Weight Or Thickness Recommendations ?

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

What would be your recommendation for the appropriate "weight" (or it
specified by thickness, or...?) for a 3-Tab
Asphalt shingle to be used for a residence re-shingling job in New England
?

Want to know what I should be discussing with contractors.

Any brands considered "best" these days ?
Or, any to stay away from ?

Any of the major brands will be very good. I'd worry more about the
installer, less about the brand. Why 3 tab? The 3 tab are usually the
bottom of the line. Labor cost for installing a good shingle over a lower
cost one is about the same, so spend the money for a good 30 or 40 year
architectural from GAF, Certainteed, etc. You can check out their web pages
for more information.

Picking a roofer can be a daunting task. Word of mouth is often the best
way to find one. If there is a local guy that has been doing roofs in your
town for 25 years, he is probably a good bet. Slick full page ads in the
phone book mean nothing. Talk to the neighbors that have had theirs done
recently. .

If you are in the Rhode Island area, these guys did my warehouse, a $60,000
job. http://www.weismanroofing.com/ Fast, clean, professional.