Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Duophone TAD-114 Remote Control

First, an unrelated question: How come phone answering machines no
longer beep every 10 seconds. For the last 25 years or more? Was the
law changed and nobody told me?

Second: I just got at a rummage sale a Duo-Phone machine TAD-114, and
it is labeled "Remote Control". What could they mean by Remote
Control? AFAICT, one has to touch the machine to make it do anything
(except if one calls in and leaves a message).

It's full label is
"DuoFone TAD-114
Voice Actuated * Two Way Record
Dual Cassette Remote Control
Telephone Answering System"

This device was made in 1983, when remote message retrieval with a
beeper existed, and when beeperless remote was just about to start, or
had just started.

But this machine has a knob one turns to go from off to playback to
rewind to answer to announce only to record announcment. Though some
of these obviously change electrical connections, the knob also
changes physical things related to the cassette mechanism. It
couldn't possibly play back messages remotely, afaict. And the
mini-manual glued inside the cover says nothing about "remote".

(DuoPhone is the Radio Shack brand for this kind of thing.)

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 2:57 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Our answering machine will beep every 15 seconds if there is a new
message. I believe it is a Uniden just purchased this past Christmas.

The only "remote control" I can think of is the ability to access the
machine from another location (work, hotel room, etc..) to check for
messages using a touch tone phone and entering a preset code.

-Felder

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 1:57 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

As far as I know the regular beep was only required if you are
recording the conversation . If leaving a message the person knows
they are being recorded and has the option of not saying anything.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Hi...

Can't speak for the radio shack model, but I have and still use
a panasonic of about the same vintage... so for what it's worth...

It has a remote control, several buttons on it to operate several
functions. I simply leave it in the answer mode. I call in, when
it answers *during* the outgoing message I hold the remote to the phone
and press the playback/reset button. It automagically plays me any
messages it's taken.

I suspect if you can find a matching remote for your machine it will
do much the same.

Take care.

Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1 Feb 2007 13:54:52 -0800, "Felder"
wrote:

On Feb 1, 2:57 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

My recent Uniden will beep on the phone line, ONLY if you use the
feature that makes it record a 2-way conversation, NOT when a caller
is leaving a message.

It also beeps through a speaker (NOT on the phone line) AFTER a
message has been left, as a reminder to check your messages.

The only "remote control" I can think of is the ability to access the
machine from another location (work, hotel room, etc..) to check for
messages using a touch tone phone and entering a preset code.

That's remote.

-Felder

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 23:40:09 GMT, Ken Weitzel
wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

I used to have an old Panasonic machine. It didn't require a remote,
but would use the keys on any tone phone.

BTW, there was a '3' sticker on the back, next to a 3-position slide
switch labeled "3-5-7". That meant the code for remote operation could
be set to 33, 35, or 37. There might be a built-in help system, but
probably not on a machine that old.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

couldn't possibly play back messages remotely,

My Phonemate answering machine plays back remotely by punching in a 3 number
code after the beep. It was set from the factory at 123. It also gives
several verbal options, save, delete or change playback message.

My Radio Shack/Duophone telephone recorder (TCR200) has an optional beep. I
don't use it for anything that needs to be kept legal (getting up in years,
can't remember who said what) so never use the beep. I turn it on mostly if
I am ordering something over the telly. RM~

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Just remembered, my son had a RS/Duophone back in the early 80's that had a
remote that looked like a garage door opener. You would hold it to the mouth
piece after the beep and push the button and it would produce a tone that
would
trigger the playback. RM~

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

I have a TAD-260 from that era. It can be programmed to phone (dial out)
another number after taking a message and from that other phone
(cellphone etc), and once answered, you can input a security code (3
digits) and retreive the messages. It is a fine machine and is still
working. Last year I had top replace the rubber drive belt that finally
broke, and last week I got around to replacing the color burst (3.58
MHz) crystal for the internal DTMF decoder that makes the remote
features work. My wife keeps bugging me to get a new digital unit, but
none I find so far has the dial out feature. The new digital ones all
have terrible interfaces.

I suspect your TAD-114 has a feature that allows you to call it remotely
and retreive messages using DTMF.

Mine has a "beep" function, but I don't use it. I suppose the new units
won't let you turn the record feature on independently of answering the
line. Mine will allow me to do this and I suppose the beep function is
to provide that legal protection.

These were made for Radio Shack by the major answering machine
manufacturer (I forgot the name) of that time and so thedesign and
quality is exceptional.

mm wrote:

[...]

Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 20:14:05 -0500, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**
wrote:

I have a TAD-260 from that era. It can be programmed to phone (dial out)
another number after taking a message and from that other phone
(cellphone etc), and once answered, you can input a security code (3
digits) and retreive the messages. It is a fine machine and is still
working. Last year I had top replace the rubber drive belt that finally
broke, and last week I got around to replacing the color burst (3.58
MHz) crystal for the internal DTMF decoder that makes the remote
features work. My wife keeps bugging me to get a new digital unit, but
none I find so far has the dial out feature. The new digital ones all
have terrible interfaces.

I suspect your TAD-114 has a feature that allows you to call it remotely
and retreive messages using DTMF.

The thing is that TAD-260 has a quite-a-bit higher number than
TAD-114. So it is newer and might be fancier.

I looked again at the machine and it works such that when put on
Answer Phone, the rubber capstan wheel is firmly against the capstan.
When it is on Rewind, they are apart (and the record and erase heads
are away from the tape, but that part might not matter).

How is going to rewind remotely if the capstan wheel is pressed
against the capstan.

Aren't all those who replied to my qustion talking about machines that
use push button electric switches and servos to change from one mode
to another? Not a knob attached to a mechanism.

So far, as hard as it is to believe, since this was a popular model, I
can't help thinking it was mislabeled!

Mine has a "beep" function, but I don't use it. I suppose the new units
won't let you turn the record feature on independently of answering the
line. Mine will allow me to do this and I suppose the beep function is
to provide that legal protection.

These were made for Radio Shack by the major answering machine
manufacturer (I forgot the name) of that time and so thedesign and
quality is exceptional.

I haven't fully tested this one, but so far it seems to work fine.

mm

mm wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a TAD-260 from that era. It can be programmed to phone (dial out)
another number after taking a message and from that other phone
(cellphone etc),

I bought a machine like that last night at the BARC minifest in
Baltimore. 3 dollars, made in 1990. PhoneMate, Named ADAM, All
Digital Answering Machine. A couple big problems: 1) Will only
hold 5 minutes of messages, minus the time you use for your outgoing
message and message transfer message. 2) This model forgets
everything** including your incoming messages if unplugged and the
batteries are dead. But I bought it anyhow because it was so cool.

This was the suggested message transfer message: "Hi, this is Bill
Johnson's phone machine. Could you call him to the phone, please. I
have a message for him. Thank you." Straight out of "Hidden Planet".

I also bought another machine, that turned out to have that feature,
off of EBay, for 10 dollars plus 8.50 shipping. That was a lot for a
machine that turned out not to work, but it was Code-a-Phone so I was
willing to take a chance. It was called a "Commercial" machine, model
7550, so it had a couple extra features, but even though it lights up
etc. I'm having trouble with a lot of them, including just playing
the tape.

**On the other hand, I have a much newer all digital SONY, that has
been unplugged for 2 years or more, and doesn't seem to have
batteries, and it still had all 7 messages that the previous owner
got, in original condition. Because SONY is still in business, I was
able to dl the owners manual, but it is 44 pages and I haven't read
yet how many minutes of message it can hold. (What I really want is a
dual microcassette tape machine, but this is turning into a hobby.)

and once answered, you can input a security code (3
digits) and retreive the messages. It is a fine machine and is still
working. Last year I had top replace the rubber drive belt that finally
broke, and last week I got around to replacing the color burst (3.58
MHz) crystal for the internal DTMF decoder that makes the remote
features work. My wife keeps bugging me to get a new digital unit, but
none I find so far has the dial out feature. The new digital ones all
have terrible interfaces.

I agree with you.

I suspect your TAD-114 has a feature that allows you to call it remotely
and retreive messages using DTMF.

Mine has a "beep" function, but I don't use it. I suppose the new units
won't let you turn the record feature on independently of answering the
line. Mine will allow me to do this and I suppose the beep function is
to provide that legal protection.

It seems a lot like the VCRs. They used to make some very fancy
machines with many many features, but those disappeared and the last 5
or 10 years they've been making cheap machines with the popular
features, like slow motion, but only the popular features.

mm wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 17:52:39 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

Our answering machine will beep every 15 seconds if there is a new
message. I believe it is a Uniden just purchased this past Christmas.

My recent Uniden will beep on the phone line, ONLY if you use the
feature that makes it record a 2-way conversation, NOT when a caller
is leaving a message.

That certainly makes sense. But I know a lot of other machines don't
beep even when one is .... well, I guess I've only tried this while
recording 2-way... maybe just on one Code-a-Phone. That one didnt'
beep. Maybe 1 or 2 other machines, but probably only for 5 or 10
seconds during testing. I'll have to check more carefully from now
on.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

The TAD-260 has a microprocessor to work the electro-mechanical servo
solenoids for message retrieval. It is a marvel of hybrid electro
mechanical technology. It does all the work remotely. I am not sure
about yours, certainly if there is a mechanical knob controlling the
capstan without any servo solenoids, it would be interesting how it
could rewind. Perhaps all you can remotely control on that model is to
turn on and off the record function.

mm wrote:

(snip)

[...]

mm wrote:

(snip)

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

The TAD-260 has dual cassettes. The ougoing message cassette hold 15
minutes per side and you can flip it over to handle two messages. The
incoming message cassette handles 60 minutes per side, you can flip it
as well so you don't have to record over the most recent messages. It is
a beauty. I suppose that somwhere there is a new digital model that has
all the correct bells and whistles, but it would be a long search.

(snip)

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 19:57:04 -0500, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**
wrote:

The TAD-260 has dual cassettes. The ougoing message cassette hold 15
minutes per side and you can flip it over to handle two messages. The
incoming message cassette handles 60 minutes per side, you can flip it
as well so you don't have to record over the most recent messages. It is
a beauty. I suppose that somwhere there is a new digital model that has
all the correct bells and whistles, but it would be a long search.

One useful feature those old ones lacked was a timestamp. It helps to
know WHEN a message was left.

(snip)

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I used these models for many years, remote early version was little
tone generator, later used touch tone keypad, it got hard and
expensive to buy outgoing loop casette, and over time they become
flakey.It could rewind new messages and play them back

I use machine for business, and finally settled on AT&T / LUCENT
1772 answering machine. digital and highly reliable bought a BUNCH
WHEN THEY WENT OUT OF PRODUCTION.

new answering machines are purely built for cheap price have short
record times like 10 minutes and are junk if you ask me

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

My elderly neighbor bought a new ATT branded digital machine that had
the time stamp. "great feature", the designers didn't think to put a
back up battery in the device. Whenever the lights blinked (often
happens in Florida) the unit would shut down and do nothing except a
blinky light show until someone reentered all the time settings via the
multifunction button sequence. My neighbor couldn't figure it out and
frankly I thought the device was a PITA and a POS.

I simply ask callers to tell me when they called and why in my outgoing
messages.

Mark Lloyd wrote:

(snip)

One useful feature those old ones lacked was a timestamp. It helps to
know WHEN a message was left.

(snip)

My elderly neighbor bought a new ATT branded digital machine that had
the time stamp. "great feature", the designers didn't think to put a
back up battery in the device. Whenever the lights blinked (often
happens in Florida) the unit would shut down and do nothing except a
blinky light show until someone reentered all the time settings via the
multifunction button sequence. My neighbor couldn't figure it out and
frankly I thought the device was a PITA and a POS.

I simply ask callers to tell me when they called and why in my outgoing
messages.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

(THIS MESSAGE REPLY IN Double Side Band (DSB), TO PLACATE BP OBSESSED KOOKS)

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 02:35:20 -0500, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**
wrote:

My elderly neighbor bought a new ATT branded digital machine that had
the time stamp. "great feature", the designers didn't think to put a
back up battery in the device. Whenever the lights blinked (often
happens in Florida) the unit would shut down and do nothing except a
blinky light show until someone reentered all the time settings via the
multifunction button sequence. My neighbor couldn't figure it out and
frankly I thought the device was a PITA and a POS.

I simply ask callers to tell me when they called and why in my outgoing
messages.

Mark Lloyd wrote:

(snip)

One useful feature those old ones lacked was a timestamp. It helps to
know WHEN a message was left.

(snip)

My elderly neighbor bought a new ATT branded digital machine that had
the time stamp. "great feature", the designers didn't think to put a
back up battery in the device. Whenever the lights blinked (often
happens in Florida) the unit would shut down and do nothing except a
blinky light show until someone reentered all the time settings via the
multifunction button sequence. My neighbor couldn't figure it out and
frankly I thought the device was a PITA and a POS.

Now, if you have caller ID it could set the clock from that.

I simply ask callers to tell me when they called and why in my outgoing
messages.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 2:35�am, **THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:
My elderly neighbor bought a new ATT branded digital machine that had
the time stamp. "great feature", the designers didn't think to put a
back up battery in the device. Whenever the lights blinked (often
happens in Florida) the unit would shut down and do nothing except a
blinky light show until someone reentered all the time settings via the
multifunction button sequence. My neighbor couldn't figure it out and
frankly I thought the device was a PITA and a POS.

I simply ask callers to tell me when they called and why in my outgoing
messages.

Mark Lloyd wrote:
(snip)

[...]

I built a bttery backup for my old machine for many of the same
reasons. Or plug into a cheap UPS

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Thats the implication I guess. They suck you into buying a cheap POS
answering machine and when you complain about it acting up, ATT tells
you to sign up for the caller ID feature at an additional monthly cost.
They win, the consumer loses.

Mark Lloyd wrote:

(snip)

(snip)

[...]

(This message reply is in Double Side Band (DSB) to placate the BP obsessive Kooks)

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

My elderly neighbor bought a new ATT branded digital machine that had
the time stamp. "great feature", the designers didn't think to put a
back up battery in the device. Whenever the lights blinked (often
happens in Florida) the unit would shut down and do nothing except a
blinky light show until someone reentered all the time settings via the
multifunction button sequence. My neighbor couldn't figure it out and
frankly I thought the device was a PITA and a POS.

I simply ask callers to tell me when they called and why in my outgoing
messages.

I would have liked the time stamp at one time, before there was
remote, but when I got a remote, I called in for my messages once a
day or often enough that I knew approximately when they called. In my
case, I don't have much need to know exactly when someone calls,
except to call him a liar if he says he called early but the time
stamp is later.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

wrote:
The TAD-260 has dual cassettes. The ougoing message cassette hold 15
minutes per side and you can flip it over to handle two messages. The
incoming message cassette handles 60 minutes per side, you can flip it
as well so you don't have to record over the most recent messages. It is
a beauty. I suppose that somwhere there is a new digital model that has
all the correct bells and whistles, but it would be a long search.

One useful feature those old ones lacked was a timestamp. It helps to
know WHEN a message was left.

My old, old PhoneMate 7950 has dual cassette, remote pickup with a 3-digit
code you specify, and spoken date and time appended to messages. It has
functioned perfectly for umpty years with no more maintenance than
cleaning the capstans and replacing the tapes (precautionary). If anyone
makes an offer, start at mid-five-figures, 'cause this un's a keeper.

--
"Nowadays, security guys break the Mac every single day. Every single day,
they come out with a total exploit, your machine can be taken over totally.

Duophone TAD-114 Remote Control mm Electronics Repair 17 February 9th 07 11:19 PM
TV remote control Steve IA Electronics Repair 2 January 28th 05 04:00 PM
GE TV remote control Stan Electronics Repair 1 November 9th 04 11:03 PM
remote control gaz UK diy 3 December 24th 03 08:54 PM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM