Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Yikes!!! Are blinds really THAT expensive?!?!

So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function cellular
shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

Posted to alt.home.repair

couple of different colors and several different styles - wood,
cellular, mini, pleated, etc. Shouldn't be more than $30 per window
and you get the joy of impulse buying. I've seen the prices you
mention and I thought it must buy enough for a whole house, but no,
it's EACH!

The Sears website has good selection and good prices but it takes way
too long to ship.

-rev

On Jan 30, 5:14 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function cellular
shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Moe is offline

"Noozer" wrote
So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function
cellular shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

Long b/4 I had a computer (at least 18yrs ago), I did some mail ordering
through a place called American Wallpaper & Blinds. I had recently (5 yrs.
ago) ordered on the web through them. It was nice to know they are still in
business. They carry name brand, and their own brands. I was really
satisfied with everything, so didn't try any other ones on the web. I saved
quite a bit over the brick & mortar outlets.

Here's their url.
http://www.decoratetoday.com/default.asp?si=3&ref=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function
cellular shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

YEah they really are that expensive (well maybe not 800 per), but the ones
that I was looking at for my hard to fit 72x36" windows were about 180
apiece. I haven't sprung for them yet, too many other things I can use the
1200 bucks for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 22:14:01 GMT, Noozer wrote:

So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function cellular
shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

Recently I have been ordering shades and blinds from www.blinds.com and
have been very happy with the price and service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 5:14 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function cellular
shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

There's more to a product than just the material in them.

Ever watch "How It's Made" on Discovery/Science Channel?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry Bud" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 30, 5:14 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function
cellular
shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

There's more to a product than just the material in them.

Ever watch "How It's Made" on Discovery/Science Channel?

I know that, but still...that's insane markup.

What really burns me is that I'm in Canada and I'm looking at about 5 times
the cost for blinds here than I could order if I was in the U.S.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message
So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function
cellular shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

I think you were mis-quoted.

Been doing this for 20 years and I am not aware of any MSRP at that price
for that size in a cellular product.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Noozer" wrote in message
So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function
cellular shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

I think you were mis-quoted.

Been doing this for 20 years and I am not aware of any MSRP at that price
for that size in a cellular product.

This is Canadian dollars, and it was a dual view blind (a sheer and blackout
all in one).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message

This is Canadian dollars, and it was a dual view blind (a sheer and
blackout all in one).

Maybe. Still sounds high. Some of the fancy ones are a bit pricey. Shop
around a bit more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function
cellular
shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

They are expensive because they are BLIND and the seeing eye dogs are
really costly to train.

Boooooo... This is alt.HOME.repair not alt.HUMOUR.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 22:14:01 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function cellular
shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

OK, you've got me concerned now. I just came back from my local Lowes
home center with information on how to measure my windows for those
cellular blinds. Mine shouldn't be that expensive, but I've been
bracing for sticker shock anyway.

I'm looking at the cordless cellular blinds and the roman shades. I'm
sure that the ones I finally choose are going to be the most
expensive. I'm just tired of the bland mini-blinds that I have had in
the house since I bought it. This place needs some jazzing up.

Sigh...

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function
cellular
shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

OK, you've got me concerned now. I just came back from my local Lowes
home center with information on how to measure my windows for those
cellular blinds. Mine shouldn't be that expensive, but I've been
bracing for sticker shock anyway.

I'm looking at the cordless cellular blinds and the roman shades. I'm
sure that the ones I finally choose are going to be the most
expensive. I'm just tired of the bland mini-blinds that I have had in
the house since I bought it. This place needs some jazzing up.

I was lucky enough to find really high quality pleated shade for $35 that
fits my window perfectly.

I know that there's overhead for blind manufacturers, but in reality how
many folks do you know that are willing to shell out even $250 per window
for decent quality shades.

If the manufacturers would cut their prices by half, I know that their sales
would at least double.

Posted to alt.home.repair

blinds to go
blinds to go
blinds to go

They were harf the price of the name brands at the despot

Noozer wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 10:00 am, "Noozer" wrote:
"Larry Bud" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jan 30, 5:14 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function
cellular
shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

There's more to a product than just the material in them.

Ever watch "How It's Made" on Discovery/Science Channel?

I know that, but still...that's insane markup.

What really burns me is that I'm in Canada and I'm looking at about 5 times
the cost for blinds here than I could order if I was in the U.S.

Since you don't know the cost to manufacture it, I don't know how you
can possibly comment on the amount of markup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 2:14 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function cellular
shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

I bought faux Plantation Blinds from Home Cheapo. It set me back $300
for the whole house and (believe me) they look spectacular (just like
$50,000 worth of genuine Plantation Shutters)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 7:00 am, "Noozer" wrote:
"Larry Bud" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jan 30, 5:14 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
So, I've repainted my master bedroom. Time to dump that old curtain and
sheer that's been hanging there for years. I waltzed into Home Despot for
some ideas and ended up taking to someone for a rough estimate...

$800+ for ONE 54"x54" window? Granted they were nice dual function
cellular
shades, but the material might be worth about $5... SHEESH!

There's more to a product than just the material in them.

Ever watch "How It's Made" on Discovery/Science Channel?

I know that, but still...that's insane markup.

What really burns me is that I'm in Canada and I'm looking at about 5 times
the cost for blinds here than I could order if I was in the U.S.

Yeah, your problem is in you're in CANADA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought faux Plantation Blinds from Home Cheapo. It set me back $300
for the whole house and (believe me) they look spectacular (just like
$50,000 worth of genuine Plantation Shutters)

Those blinds are an excellent value for the money.

They will not hold up to heavy daily use but at 10% of the cost of a real
wood blind you can replace a few every now and then when they break.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 12:58 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in message

oups.com...

I bought faux Plantation Blinds from Home Cheapo. It set me back $300
for the whole house and (believe me) they look spectacular (just like
$50,000 worth of genuine Plantation Shutters)

Those blinds are an excellent value for the money.

They will not hold up to heavy daily use but at 10% of the cost of a real
wood blind you can replace a few every now and then when they break.

Colbyt

I even used one on my garage window!

They are beautiful and affordable.

I don't care for fabric because of the expense in cleaning them!

Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ve-189973-.htm
houseofblinds wrote:

No Blinds are not that expensive. They are good value for money. There are Polyclad wood shutters are Elegant, Carefree and Green. They have the look of wood but are easy to maintain and durable. They also look damn good. You also get wood shutters for those who like the authenticity. Also there are faux wood shutters. With so many options available I am sure youc an find something that fits your budget.