Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Time to Replace 30-Year-Old Electric Water Heater?

My 30-year-old 80-gallon electric water heater has begun to not work
very well. When taking a shower, after about five (5) minutes, the
water begins to lose its heat, and I have to turn the cold water
almost completely off in order for the water to remain warm.

The thermostat on my water heater is set to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. I
have troubleshooted online and I've read where the dip tube could be
cracked or have some sort of other problem. I just recently drained
out my water heater to remove sediment that was built up, thinking
that this might fix the problem, but the same problem still exists. I
don't think that the previous home owner ever did this.

Is it worth the money to call a repair person to investigate the
problem, or should I shell out the bucks for a new one?

Thanks for any advice,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Kevin,

Thirty years for an electric hot water tank puts it well beyond its
natural life. Average life expectancy is ten to twelve years and in
areas with exceptionally hard water, five to seven is more the norm.
I would be inclined to replace it now before it begins to leak.

Cheers,
Paul

On 29 Jan 2007 10:28:29 -0800, "Kevin G."
wrote:

My 30-year-old 80-gallon electric water heater has begun to not work
very well. When taking a shower, after about five (5) minutes, the
water begins to lose its heat, and I have to turn the cold water
almost completely off in order for the water to remain warm.

The thermostat on my water heater is set to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. I
have troubleshooted online and I've read where the dip tube could be
cracked or have some sort of other problem. I just recently drained
out my water heater to remove sediment that was built up, thinking
that this might fix the problem, but the same problem still exists. I
don't think that the previous home owner ever did this.

Is it worth the money to call a repair person to investigate the
problem, or should I shell out the bucks for a new one?

Thanks for any advice,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My 30-year-old 80-gallon electric water heater has begun to not work
very well. When taking a shower, after about five (5) minutes, the
water begins to lose its heat, and I have to turn the cold water
almost completely off in order for the water to remain warm.

The thermostat on my water heater is set to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
I have troubleshooted online and I've read where the dip tube could
be cracked or have some sort of other problem. I just recently
drained out my water heater to remove sediment that was built up,
thinking that this might fix the problem, but the same problem still
exists. I don't think that the previous home owner ever did this.

Is it worth the money to call a repair person to investigate the
problem, or should I shell out the bucks for a new one?

Thanks for any advice,
Kevin

Ask around among your neighbors. If you don't find any older, I would
plan sooner than later to replace it. That is about it in most areas.

Water conditions and usage as well as the temperature setting all come
into play, but they all had to be fairly good or you would not have made it
that far.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

You probably have a massive amount of buildup in the tank, and 120 degrees
is just a very minimum for hot water. I'd crank 'er up to 150-160 (this is
where the dishwasher guys like it anyway), then you might see more normal
performance. If there is a clean out drain on the bottom of it, you might
try flushing it out. But be prepared for it to start leaking if you do this
at this age.

steve

"Kevin G." wrote in message
oups.com...
My 30-year-old 80-gallon electric water heater has begun to not work
very well. When taking a shower, after about five (5) minutes, the
water begins to lose its heat, and I have to turn the cold water
almost completely off in order for the water to remain warm.

The thermostat on my water heater is set to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. I
have troubleshooted online and I've read where the dip tube could be
cracked or have some sort of other problem. I just recently drained
out my water heater to remove sediment that was built up, thinking
that this might fix the problem, but the same problem still exists. I
don't think that the previous home owner ever did this.

Is it worth the money to call a repair person to investigate the
problem, or should I shell out the bucks for a new one?

Thanks for any advice,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kevin G." wrote in message
oups.com...
My 30-year-old 80-gallon electric water heater has begun to not work
very well. When taking a shower, after about five (5) minutes, the
water begins to lose its heat, and I have to turn the cold water
almost completely off in order for the water to remain warm.

Good possibility the dip tube inside is broken. After 30 years, time for a
new heater as you are on borrowed time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. I might talk to my neighbors
about their water heaters, but I'm leaning toward purchasing a new one
as I see where my local Lowe's has a sale on Whirlpool 50-gallon
Energy Smart„¢ electric water heaters.

I feel fortunate that the water heater last this long.

Thanks again,
Kevin

On Jan 29, 2:30Â*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Kevin G." wrote in ooglegroups.com...

My 30-year-old 80-gallon electric water heater has begun to not work
very well. Â*When taking a shower, after about five (5) minutes, the
water begins to lose its heat, and I have to turn the cold water
almost completely off in order for the water to remain warm.Good possibility the dip tube inside is broken. After 30 years, time for a

new heater as you are on borrowed time.