Posted to alt.home.repair

Default bathroom lock

Re lock for bathroom. It has the little button you turn to lock/unlock.
Isn`t the button supposed to be straight up and down when unlocked, and
sideways when the door is locked. The way I installed it, it is the
opposite way. can you tell me how to install it properly.
Patt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Re lock for bathroom. It has the little button you turn to lock/unlock.
Isn`t the button supposed to be straight up and down when unlocked, and
sideways when the door is locked. The way I installed it, it is the
opposite way. can you tell me how to install it properly.

Take life easy. Your lock is correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 04:35:32 GMT, "Patt" wrote:

Re lock for bathroom. It has the little button you turn to lock/unlock.
Isn`t the button supposed to be straight up and down when unlocked, and
sideways when the door is locked. The way I installed it, it is the
opposite way. can you tell me how to install it properly.
Patt

I disagree with the other poster. The lock should be horizontal while
unlocked and vertical while locked. But the most important thing is
how the tee-pee for your bunghole is spooled on the dispenser. As a
rule, it should come over the top. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Patt wrote:

Re lock for bathroom. It has the little button you turn to lock/unlock.
Isn`t the button supposed to be straight up and down when unlocked, and
sideways when the door is locked. The way I installed it, it is the
opposite way. can you tell me how to install it properly.
Patt

I've always believed it should be horizontal when locked, because if
brings to mind "barring the door".

On some (but not all) locksets you can remove the screws holding the two
knob assemblies together, pull out the knob with the turnbutton, rotate
the button a quarter turn and push the knob back in, reengaging the
button shaft the way you'd like it.

Try it, it might work on your lockset.

HTH,
--