Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom Privacy Lock Question .

I am going to fit a new handle and lock to my bathroom door.
I have been looking at this one .

I had thought that these needed a lock as well like this

but when visiting a friend recently in a new build I looked at her bathroom door
lock and it seemed that it was using a handle similar to the first one above
with just a latch like

Presumably these privacy handles lock the handle mechanism when you turn the
lock .Is that correct so all I need are the first and third ones listed above ?

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
I am going to fit a new handle and lock to my bathroom door.
I have been looking at this one .

I had thought that these needed a lock as well like this

but when visiting a friend recently in a new build I looked at her bathroom door
lock and it seemed that it was using a handle similar to the first one above
with just a latch like

Presumably these privacy handles lock the handle mechanism when you turn the
lock .Is that correct so all I need are the first and third ones listed above ?

Yes.

I've just done exactly that. The handle has a mechanism in so that the
turning thing jams the handle and stops the door opening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart wrote:
I am going to fit a new handle and lock to my bathroom door.
I have been looking at this one .

I had thought that these needed a lock as well like this

but when visiting a friend recently in a new build I looked at her

bathroom door
lock and it seemed that it was using a handle similar to the first one

above
with just a latch like

Presumably these privacy handles lock the handle mechanism when you turn

the
lock .Is that correct so all I need are the first and third ones listed

above ?

Yes.

I've just done exactly that. The handle has a mechanism in so that the
turning thing jams the handle and stops the door opening.

Interesting. I was going to buy new a lock (99818 as above) to go with this:

Anyone know if the same applies?

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart wrote:
I am going to fit a new handle and lock to my bathroom door.
I have been looking at this one .

I had thought that these needed a lock as well like this

but when visiting a friend recently in a new build I looked at her
bathroom door
lock and it seemed that it was using a handle similar to the first one
above
with just a latch like

Presumably these privacy handles lock the handle mechanism when you turn
the
lock .Is that correct so all I need are the first and third ones listed
above ?

Yes.

I've just done exactly that. The handle has a mechanism in so that the
turning thing jams the handle and stops the door opening.

My experience of these from the sheds is that they are crap and usually
unlock by just turning the handle.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Fred" contains these words:

My experience of these from the sheds is that they are crap and usually
unlock by just turning the handle.

I got our locks from Wilkinsons - there's a mechanism similar to 99818 ,
and about the same price.

The faceplate/handle/lockturn looks very similar to the 46134 and
there's two square rods supplied, one for the latch, one for the lock.

Whichever you settle for, they're well worth having. From time to time
accidents do happen in bathrooms and being able to open the door without
fuss is great, particularly if it's a small that's locked itself in and
is now in a panic.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Guy King wrote:

Whichever you settle for, they're well worth having. From time to
time accidents do happen in bathrooms and being able to open the
door without fuss is great, particularly if it's a small that's
locked itself in and is now in a panic.

Absolutely.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:09:13 -0000, "Lynet Smith" wrote:

just be careful that the 2 year old does not lock themselves in - talking
them into unlocking it while they panic and scream is not easy!

Lynet

They have a facilty on the outside of the door for others to unlock it
....normally by use of a coin or similar .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart" wrote in message
I am going to fit a new handle and lock to my bathroom door.
I have been looking at this one .

I had thought that these needed a lock as well like this

but when visiting a friend recently in a new build I looked at her
bathroom door
lock and it seemed that it was using a handle similar to the first one
above
with just a latch like

Presumably these privacy handles lock the handle mechanism when you turn
the
lock .Is that correct so all I need are the first and third ones listed
above ?

Stuart

I would only consider a system that can be unlocked from the outside in
an emergency. As posted getting little ones to unlock a door when they
have locked themselves in is near impossible. This happened to me on
the day we were moving house. I had to go and borrow a ladder, break
the window and squeeze myself in to let my daughter out. I now install
the type that lock separately with a slot on the outside so that a coin
or screwdriver can be used to unlock it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart wrote:
I am going to fit a new handle and lock to my bathroom door.
I have been looking at this one .

I had thought that these needed a lock as well like this

but when visiting a friend recently in a new build I looked at her
bathroom door lock and it seemed that it was using a handle similar
to the first one above with just a latch like

Presumably these privacy handles lock the handle mechanism when you
turn the lock .Is that correct so all I need are the first and third
ones listed above ?

Stuart

What's wrong with just fitting a normal sliding bolt?

fit it about 5ft up to avoid toddlers getting locked in

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

What's wrong with just fitting a normal sliding bolt?

fit it about 5ft up to avoid toddlers getting locked in

Have you had kids? 5' won't deter a determined toddler!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:00:20 GMT, "Phil L" wrote:

Stuart wrote:
I am going to fit a new handle and lock to my bathroom door.
I have been looking at this one .

I had thought that these needed a lock as well like this

but when visiting a friend recently in a new build I looked at her
bathroom door lock and it seemed that it was using a handle similar
to the first one above with just a latch like

Presumably these privacy handles lock the handle mechanism when you
turn the lock .Is that correct so all I need are the first and third
ones listed above ?

Stuart

What's wrong with just fitting a normal sliding bolt?

fit it about 5ft up to avoid toddlers getting locked in

The lock looks better,There are NO toddlers and anyway what's 5 ft to a toddler
when the bath is right next to the door .

Stuart .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MarkK wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart wrote:
[...]

Yes it does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Stuart wrote:
I am going to fit a new handle and lock to my bathroom door.
I have been looking at this one .

I had thought that these needed a lock as well like this

but when visiting a friend recently in a new build I looked at her
bathroom door lock and it seemed that it was using a handle similar
to the first one above with just a latch like

Presumably these privacy handles lock the handle mechanism when you
turn the lock .Is that correct so all I need are the first and third
ones listed above ?

Stuart

What's wrong with just fitting a normal sliding bolt?

fit it about 5ft up to avoid toddlers getting locked in

The lock looks better,There are NO toddlers and anyway what's 5 ft to
a toddler when the bath is right next to the door .

Stuart .

Well excuse me for not wearing my psychic hat!

Anyway, what's the deal with all these bathroom locks, surely we only need a
'semblance' of a lock, I don't think anyone is going to try to kick the door
in while a dump is being taken, they try the door, it doesn't open
immediately, I think they can work the rest out for themselves....or they
/should/ be able to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Stuart wrote:
[...]

What's a semblance of a lock ?? Either the door is locked or it isn't .

As for the facilty to open it from the outside .Well we have already mentioned
kds but there's also the case of someone collapsing in the loo and others being
able to get the door open from outside .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

MarkK wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart wrote:
[...]

Thanks - I'll have to look for something else. The children would just pull
down on the handle harder if they find it doesn't move. It'd break one day.

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:06:27 -0000, "MarkK" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

MarkK wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Stuart wrote:
[...]

Maybe you should teach them how to operate it then .Would that not be a better
idea .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart" wrote in message

Thanks - I'll have to look for something else. The children would just

pull
down on the handle harder if they find it doesn't move. It'd break one

day.

Mark

Maybe you should teach them how to operate it then .Would that not be a

better
idea .

Hey, great concept! I guess it works like this: 1) You tell the children
something 2) They follow your instructions for the rest of their lives!
Superb, I hadn't thought of that. I'll make a note of it and try it out ;-)

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 23:36:28 -0000, "MarkK" wrote:

"Stuart" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks - I'll have to look for something else. The children would just

pull
down on the handle harder if they find it doesn't move. It'd break one

day.

Mark

Maybe you should teach them how to operate it then .Would that not be a

better
idea .

Hey, great concept! I guess it works like this: 1) You tell the children
something 2) They follow your instructions for the rest of their lives!
Superb, I hadn't thought of that. I'll make a note of it and try it out ;-)

Mark

Ha. (1) is right but not (2).

Why do you need to make a note .Can't you remember that .:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MarkK
writes

Thanks - I'll have to look for something else. The children would just pull
down on the handle harder if they find it doesn't move. It'd break one day.

Just learn to whistle - it's cheaper

--
geoff

Lock question r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 8 July 9th 06 02:28 AM
Rim Lock Question [email protected] UK diy 2 March 18th 06 11:08 AM
Privacy Fence Question nicbro Home Repair 2 August 11th 05 12:40 AM
Which bathroom lock size? john Smith UK diy 2 March 22nd 05 11:53 AM